Mathematics Statistics Library Newsletter
Spring 2011 (All Issues)
- Expanded summer hours and building projects
- Kresge Engineering Library - Summer 2011 closure
- New resources: Elsevier ebooks, Springer ebooks, and Wiley online books
- Other important library news
- Contact us by IM, Email, Phone
1. Expanded summer hours and building projects
Due to careful budgeting throughout the year, the Mathematics Statistics Library will be able to expand its hours this summer. Rather than the reduced hours of the last two years, we will be open 11 a.m.-5 p.m. Monday-Friday this summer. As you may know, there will also be two building projects at Evans Hall that will impact the library this summer: (1) the lighting upgrade project and (2) the south lobby glass replacement project.
- Contractors plan to perform work on the lighting upgrade project within the library before we open each day, so there should be minimal impact on library operations. This project will provide better and more energy-efficient lighting for our library users.
- Work to replace the lobby glass and fire safety doors in the elevator lobby outside the library will take place from approximately May 20-June 16. Though the library door will be closed during construction to protect the library from noise and dust, it will be unlocked during our open hours - a sign will indicate whether we are "Open" or "Closed," so please come right in when we are open!
2. Kresge Engineering Library - Summer 2011 closure
The Kresge Engineering Library will be closed for renovation from Saturday, May 14 through Wednesday, August 17, 2011. It will re-open on Thursday, August 18 at 9 a.m. During the closure, the Engineering Library's print collections will be unavailable for borrowing. For more information on the closure, please see Kresge Engineering Library News.
3. New resources: Elsevier ebooks, Springer ebooks, and Wiley online books
The UC Berkeley Libraries recently purchased several science and engineering ebook collections from Elsevier. This purchase included mathematics books published by Elsevier in 2010-2011, as well as the Handbook of Statistics and the Handbook of Numerical Analysis. These ebooks are being cataloged in OskiCat and can also be found directly on Elsevier's ScienceDirect platform.
Across the system, the UC Libraries have also decided to continue expanding our ebook collections, with recent purchases of 2011 Springer Ebooks and 2011 Wiley Online Books. These ebook collections include most Springer books published in 2011 and selected Wiley books from 2011. They will eventually appear in both OskiCat and NextGen Melvyl, but can also be accessed directly on SpringerLink and the Wiley Online Library.
Access to our ebooks and other electronic resources is available from all campus computers. UC Berkeley faculty, staff, and students can also access them from off campus via the Library Proxy Server. If you have any questions, please contact .
4. Other important library news
Here are links to three other important library news stories. More details should be released in the coming weeks.
6. Contact us by IM, Email, Phone
If you have any questions or suggestions for the library, feel free to contact us. In addition to the IM service, the librarian is available via email and phone. We look forward to hearing from you.
Science Libraries UC Berkeley Library
Conditions of use
UC Berkeley home
Copyright © 2011
The Regents of the University of California. All rights reserved.
Last updated 08/13/13. Content maintained by: Mathematics Statistics Library.