Finding Book Reviews in History
Contact Your Librarian
- Phoebe Janes
- Office Location: 212 Doe Library
- Contact Info:
Book Review Sources
In general, there is a substantial time lag between the publication date of a book and the appearance of a serious review, and another lag between the appearance of the review and the indexing of that review in a database. Knowing the date of the publication is a critical factor in determining what database/source will yield the best results.
Book Review Digest: 1905-1974. Bronx, NY, H.W. Wilson, 1976
Doe Reference Z 1219 .C95 Suppl. Periodical Indexes
Combined Retrospective Index to Book Reviews in Humanities Journals, 1802-1974. Woodbridge, CT, Research Publications, 1982-84
Doe Reference Z 1035 .A1 .C62 1982 Periodical Indexes
Combined Retrospective Index to Book Reviews in Scholarly Journals, 1886-1974. Arlington, VA, Carrollton Press, 1979-1982
Doe Reference Z 1035 .A1 .C63 Periodical Indexes
Moffitt Library Z 1035 .A1 .C63
History Book Review Sources
- History Cooperative
- Full text of many current U.S. History journals-- approximately the past five years.
SEARCH TIP: Use Advanced Search. Select Article Type: Review
- History of Science, Technology and Medicine, 1975--
- SEARCH TIP: Do a Keyword, Author, or Title search. Then, from the list displayed click on Limit and select Form/Genre-- Book Review and Apply Limit.
- Around sixty core history and history of science journals are included in this full text multi-subject index. Full back files are available for all titles. However, coverage for recent dates- approximately the past five years, is not available on this database. To check coverage dates see Browse Journals.
SEARCH TIP: On the Advanced Search screen limit your search to Reviews by checking the box at the Narrow Your Search to--These types: Review. Author search results: book and review authors.
- Project Muse
- Another multi-subject full text index; history is one of many humanities subjects covered by this database. Project Muse is useful for reviews published since 1993. To check coverage dates see Browse Journals.
SEARCH TIP: From the Search screen use the pull down menu to select Author Reviewed or Title Reviewed.
- Reviews in History
- This is the online review journal of the Institute of Historical Research at the University of London. Since 1996 the journal has published nearly 500 reviews of a broad range of scholarly interest in history
General Book Review Sources
- American Periodicals Series, 1740-1900
- Searchable full text of many 18th and 19th century periodicals.
SEARCH TIP: There is not a separate book review index: use the word Review as part of your Title or Author search.
- Periodicals Archive Online, 1770-1995
- Good coverage of American, British, and some continuential European periodicals from the 19th and 20th centuries.
SEARCH TIP: Search for the title in Article Title Keyword and under Scope select Book Reviews Only.
- Nineteenth Century Masterfile (Also known as Poole's Index to Periodical Literature, 1802-1906)
- Includes American and British periodicals. This index contains reviews, but the word "review" is not always in the citation.
SEARCH TIP: Use Author or Title searches to locate reviews.
- Reader's Guide Retrospective (1890-1982)
- SEARCH TIP: In the Document Slot at the lower end of the Search screen select Book Review.
Related Subject Guides
Related Course Guides
Go To Full Version