Search an article database to find citations (title, author, title of journal, date, page numbers) for articles on a particular topic. The Library gives you access to over 200 article databases covering different disciplines.
1. Think about which academic disciplines might write about your topic. Examples: literature, film, anthropology, history...
2. Find the appropriate article database by subject (academic discipline or department). Look for "Recommended" databases.
Library home > Articles > Article Databases by Subject
Sample Searches - Article Databases
Sample searches in ProQuest Social Science databases:
Library home > Articles > Article Databases by Subject > Ethnic Studies > ProQuest Social Sciences link to search multiple social science databases
1. Example of a search using , truncation,etc
narrow down your results by EXCLUDING full text:
gang* (anywhere except full text)
tattoo* (anywhere except full text)
phrase searching (quotation marks)
transnational (all fields except full text)
"flow of capital" (all fields except full text)
multiple terms, alternative terms
transnational (all fields)
"popular culture" or "pop culture" (all fields)
"community formation*" (all fields)
"native american" (all fields except full text)
feminis* or queer* or gay* or lesbian* or transgender* (all fields except full text)
media (all fields except full text)
use official subject terms:
incarcerat* or prison* or jail* subject heading)
youth* or teen* or adolesc* (subject heading)
ethnic* or "of color" (all fields (no full text))
Log in to My Research to save search results across sessions, and to set up alerts and RSS feeds.
Sample Searches in Academic Search Complete (interdisciplinary)
youth* or teen* or adolesc* (select a field - optional)
gay* or lesbian* or bisexual* or transgender* (select a field - optional)
identit* (select a field - optional)
relig* (select a field - optional)
- click on the title to see full record (including abstracts and descriptors)
- to limit by publication type (peer-reviewed journals, conferences, books, etc.) click on the appropriate tab or link
- if necessary,look for other limits (latest update, journal articles only, english only) and more advanced searches
- select records to save to your personalized list; lists may be e-mailed, downloaded, printed
UC-eLinks - Find Article Text/Location
Once you've searched a database to find articles, you may need to use to link to a PDF or html file if the full text is not immediately available. Each database is a bit different, but a good rule of thumb is this: when you see the Uc-eLinks icon click on it to view your article access options, which can range from full text to a call number to an Interlibrary Loan request:
For more information, here's a tutorial on using UC-eLinks.
Library home > Articles > General Article Databases > JSTOR
Everyone Loves JSTOR:
- full text available AND searchable - you may find topics you won't find elsewhere because they're only part of an article on a related topic
- covers journals from their earliest publication dates
- DOES NOT INCLUDE THE LAST 3-5 YEARS of a journal! not good for contemporary topics!
- doesn't include as many journals in a particular discipline as the discipline-specific database (example: MLA Bibliography for literature)