Government Information Databases
- American Presidency Project. Contains all major publications of the U.S. Office of the President, including: Public Papers of the President, Inaugural Addresses, Executive Orders, Signing Statements, and other information such as radio addresses, party platforms, videos of debates, and popularity polling data. This project was developed by two political science professors at UCSB.
- CQ Electronic Library. A reference source on American politics and government that includes the following modules: CQ Congress Collection, CQ Political Handbook of the World, CQ Researcher Plus Archive, CQ Supreme Court, CQ Voting and Elections, CQ Washington Information Directory, CQ Weekly. Access individual modules or search across all CQ collections.
- CQ Supreme Court Collection. Combines historical analysis with updates and commentary of US Supreme Court decisions, biographies of Supreme Court justices, Supreme Court institutional history and the US Constitution. Also includes background and commentary on constitutions from over 100 countries. Part of the CQ Electronic Library collection.
- CQ Weekly. Provides nonpartisan information about US government and congressional affairs and subjects of concern. This online version also provides access to some articles prior to when they appear in the print version of CQ Weekly. Part of the CQ Electronic Library collection.
- CQ Researcher Plus Archive. A weekly publication covering the most current and controversial issue stopics. Includes complete summaries and bibliographies. Part of the CQ Electronic Library collection.
- OECD iLibrary. Full-text publications and statistical data from the Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD), including country studies, forecasting publications, reports, and socioeconomic datasets and an interactive Health data database. The statistics section includes data in the areas of international trade, telecommunications, foreign aid, migration, and many other categories. Includes data from 1983 to the present.
- Official California Legislative Information. Official site maintained by the Legislative Counsel of California. Includes Bill information and tracking, California Law (codes and statutes), plus the California State Constitution.
- ProQuest Congressional. One stop shopping for U.S. congressional publications. Provides index and abstracts of congressional publications back to 1789, including full text of published Congressional Hearings from 1824-present (unpublished until 1979), full text Committee Prints from 1830-present, full text Congressional Research Service (CRS) Reports from 1916-present, full text United States Congressional Serial Set (and its various former titles) from 1789-present, and legislative histories from 1970-present.
- ProQuest Legislative Insight. Provides access to more than 18,000 professionally researched legislative histories of US Law. Histories include the Public Law itself, all versions of related bills, law-specific Congressional Record excerpts, committee hearings, reports and prints, Presidential signing statements, and CRS reports. 1929-present.
US Government Information Web sites
2012 HHS Poverty Guidelines -- U.S. Department of Health & Human Services. Lays out the two main methods for determining poverty in the U.S. and how each method works
Administration for Children and Families (ACF) -- U.S. Dept. of Health & Human Services (HHS)
- The Children's Bureau--Provides welfare for families and their children, educating the public about child welfare opportunities, adoption & foster care, and how to report child abuse.
- Office of Child Care--Helps provide affordable, accessible, and quality child care for all Americans in need.
- Head Start--Serves the needs of low-income families and their childrens' early development.
Center for Faith-Based & Neighborhood Partnerships -- U.S. Dept. of Health and Human Services (HHS) -- Promotes the participation of faith-based and community-based organizations as valued and essential partners assisting Americans in need.
Child Poverty and Family Income -- U.S. Federal Interagency Forum on Child and Family Statistics.
HHS.gov -- U.S. Dept. of Health and Human Services (HHS) --
- Children and Youth--Resources on early childhood care, child welfare, and teen pregnancy.
- Income and Poverty--Summary of 2012 current population survey data
- Poverty Guidelines, Research, and Measurement--Statistics of poverty in America, detailing the statistical income threshold of poverty.
Poverty -- U.S. White House -- Guiding principles and progress in alleviating poverty in the U.S.
Poverty Main -- U.S. Census Bureau -- Statistics and surveys on poverty in America. Includes the most recent Income, Poverty, and Health Insurance Coverage in the United States, annual poverty: statistics from the American Community Survey, and various other Census Bureau publications.
Social Security -- U.S. Social Security Administration (SSA) -- Dedicated to delivering Social Security services that meet the changing needs of the public
- Annual Statistical Supplement to the Social Security Bulletin
- Disability and Supplemental Security Income
- Fast Facts & Figures About Social Security
- Frequently Asked Questions About Social Security
- Office of Policy
- President's Commission to Strengthen Social Security--Bush administration
- Social Security Programs throughout the World
- Social Security [Web Sites] in Other Countries
The Cost of Living and the Geographic Distribution of Poverty -- Dean Jolliffe -- U.S. Department of Agriculture. Economic Research Service -- This study suggests that when poverty measures are adjusted to account for cost-of-living differences between metro and nonmetro areas metro poverty is greater than nonmetro poverty in terms of prevalence, depth, and severity
U.S. Dept. of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) -- Includes Poverty and Homelessness.
EU and other European Web Sites
EU Directorate General for Employment, Social Affairs and Inclusion. Responsibility for policy in the field of employment, social affairs and inclusion is shared between the EU and its member countries.
European Platform Against Poverty and Social Exclusion. One of seven EU flagship initiatives of the Europe 2020 strategy for smart, sustainable and inclusive growth.
European Bank for Reconstruction and Development. Development bank to provide project financing for Easterm Europe and Central Asia.
European Union Humanitarian Aid Office (ECHO). Humanitarian aid office of the European Union. Site includes lists of publications and decisions.
European Foundation for the Improvment of Living and Working Conditions. EU body that conducts a number of surveys on employment and social conditions in EU countries. Among its regular surveys are the European Quality of Life Survey, the European Working Conditions Survey and the European Survey on Working Time and Work-Life Balance.