What to Expect
Before you go:
1. Be prepared! Read secondary sources and know something about your topic.
2. Search OskiCat so you can bring call numbers with you. Use the pull-down menu in OskiCat to limit your search to the Bancroft Library only. (Remember that there are primary sources in many other campus libraries as well.)
- If the item you want is in storage (the location is NRLF) and it's owned by The Bancroft Library, do not use the Request button in OskiCat. Instead, use the Bancroft's online request form at least 72 hours in advance (they prefer a week).
- If the OskiCat record mentions a finding aid (an index) to a manuscript collection, you should use it to help you find what you need in the collection. If the finding aid is online, there will be a link from the OskiCat record. The finding aids that are not online are near the Registration Desk at the Bancroft Library.
3. Learn about the Bancroft's policies: read about Access (bring a quarter for lockers) and Registration (bring two pieces of ID). You may want to read about the new camera policy ($10/day, no flash) or about getting photocopies.
How to Get to the Bancroft Library:
The Bancroft is open from 10am to 5pm Monday-Friday (closed on weekends and holidays; shorter hours during Intersession). Paging ends 30 minutes before closing and materials must be returned 15 minutes before closing. If you want to use Bancroft materials you need to arrive and request your materials at the circulation desk before 4:30pm.
The Bancroft Library is on the second floor of Doe, on the east side (the side closest to the Campanile). See a floor plan of Doe Library 2nd floor.
During your visit:
- Store your belongings in the lockers provided, located on the right-hand side of the east entrance. Pass the security guard station and proceed up one level by stairs or elevator to the Reading Room and Seminar Rooms (3rd floor).
- Check in at the Registration Desk, located on the left-hand side of the entrance to the Reference Center.
- Go to the Circulation Desk, where you will fill out a form for the items you need. The items will be paged and brought to you. (Remember to bring call numbers, titles, etc. with you!)
- For research-related questions, ask for assistance at the Reference Desk.
Obtaining Copies of Materials:
Photocopies- all photocopying is done by Bancroft staff and not all material may be photocopied. Photocopies will be available for pick-up the day after they are ordered and cost either .30 or .60/ page. Detailed information on ordering photocopies can be found at http://bancroft.berkeley.edu/reference/dsu/policies.html#manuscript.
Photographs- you may take photographs of materials in the reading room after registering to do so and paying a fee of $10/ day. You may take as many photos as you wish that day. See http://bancroft.berkeley.edu/info/camera.html for information on using a camera in the reading room.