International Development & Relief Organizations
To get started finding International Governmental Organization (IGO) Information you may wish to try the following IGO Custom Search Engine, which was initiated by David Oldenkamp, International Documents Librarian at Indiana University, and searches 392 urls of International Governmental Organizations (IGOs).
Global Issues on the UN Agenda. UN Reference tool for links to online documents, agencies, and other resources on a wide range of important topics on the UN Agenda.
European Union Humanitarian Aid Office (ECHO). Humanitarian aid office of the European Union. Site includes lists of publications and decisions.
Human Development Report Library. The web site includes the UNDP flagship publication the Human Development Report, as well as national human development reports from over 250 countries and regions.
IFAD Operations Database. Portal of projects and programmes on poverty issues affecting countries world wide. From the International Fund for Agricultural Development (IFAD). Search menu is on the lower left.
Relief Web. Web portal from the United Nations Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs. Hails itself as "the world's leading gateway to information on humanitarian emergencies and disasters."
Rural Poverty Portal. Portal from the International Fund for Agricultural development on a wide range of poverty issues, country reports and development strategies, from international agencies world wide, including development banks and other international organizations.
United Nations Children's Fund (UNICEF). United Nations children's agency. Provides long-term humanitarian and developmental assistance to children and mothers in developing countries
United Nations and Business Web site. Provides information on partnerships and alliances between the UN and the private sector to help further the UN Millennium Devleopment Goals.
United Nations Capital Development Fund. Investment fund for Least Developed Countries to help reduce poverty and achieve the Millennium Development Goals
United Nations Office for Project Services. Works to implementing projects for the United Nations System, international financial institutions, governments and other partners in the aid world.
UN Habitat. United Nations agency for human settlements mandated by the UN General Assembly to promote socially and environmentally sustainable towns and cities with the goal of providing adequate shelter for all.
United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR). The United Nations Refugee Agency. Includes many online books, papers and statistics.
NonGovernmental Organizations (NGOs)
The amount of information on Non-Governmental Organizations (NGOs) on the Internet is large so locating NGO information by subject or geography can be difficult. The following links and the NGO search engine below may help.
NGO Custom Search Engine
This search engine was developed by David Oldenkamp at Indiana University and James Jacobs at Stanford. The site seaches NGOs with Consultative Status with the United Nations Economic and Social Council and other NGO directories on the Internet.
Directory of Development Organizations. Over 47,000 organizations of all kinds listed by region and country. One of the most extensive compilation of NGO country directories.
Idealist.Org. Includes a searchable directory of over 52,000 organizations by name, mission, country of focus, and more.
Non-Governmental Organizations Research Guide (Duke University). Guide enabling users to browse NGOs by issue, region, and affiliation.
TakingITGlobal. International non-profit organization centered on young people interested in connecting across cultures. Outstanding source of NGO information by country and area of focus. Go to browse organizations.
USAID Directory of Registered NGOs. From the US Agency for International Development.
International & Regional Financial Institutions
- economic assistance, british
- economic assistance, canadian africa
- economic assistance, japanese developing countries
- economic assistance, american asia
Asian Development Bank. Information on loans, investment, and technical assistance for a broad range of Asian development projects.
African Development Bank. Regional development Bank for Africa. See also their flagship publication African Development Review.
Caribbean Development Bank. Regional financial and economic development institution for the Caribbean.
European Bank for Reconstruction and Development. Development bank to provide project financing for Easterm Europe and Central Asia.
InterAmerican Development Bank. Regional development bank focusing on economic development and technical cooperation projects for Latin America. See also IDB America.
International Monetary Fund
- Article IV Staff Reports. Country "surveillance reports" conducted by IMF missions teams on an ongoing basis for all member states, and reports made in response to states' requests to borrow funds. Not all reports are made public.
- Country Reports. Rich source of information by country: see especially the statistical appendices.
- IMF Country Policy Intention Documents. IMF documents prepared by countries outlining policy intentions for use of Fund resources or staff-monitored programs.
Islamic Development Bank. Largest multilateral development institution in the Middle East, located in Saudi Arabia.
OECD iLibrary. Online library from the Organization for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD) an international economic organisation and leading international organization for foreign aid (development assistance) data. For a quick summary of OECD statistics see the OECD Factbook.
- International Development Association (IDA). Branch of the World Bank that helps the poorest countries by providing loans aimed at boosting economic growth and improving living conditions.
- Poverty Reduction Strategy Papers. Also includes Joint Staff advisory Notes and Joint Staff Assessments.
- World Bank & Poverty Reduction. Gateway to World Bank Poverty measurement, analysis and reduction strategies. Includes topical and country listings as well as data on poverty and inequality.
- World Bank E-library (UCB Access Only). Database for hundreds of full-text World Bank publications. Topics covered include economics, public policy, education, international development, gender, the environment, and more.
- World Bank Country Information. Web portal of World Bank publications by country. See also the World Bank Country Study series of reports. In the online catalogs do a series search for world bank country study
- World Bank Project Documents. Full-text of World Bank project reports, including evaluation reports, working papers, and project appraisals