Library Design Resources
This is a guide to the literature on the design of libraries. It includes basic research tools, historical sources, and strategies for finding materials at UC Berkeley and on the Internet. Consult the Environmental Design Library reference staff for further information. UC Berkeley faculty, registered students, and staff who are off campus may use items marked UCB Only or UC Only connecting via the Library's Proxy Service or the Virtual Private Network (VPN).
Originally compiled by Susan Koskinen. Content reviewed:
DICTIONARIES & ENCYCLOPEDIAS
- for terminology, finding general information, names, dates
- The design encyclopedia / Mel Byars; foreword by Terence Riley. [New ed.] London: L. King; New York: Museum of Modern Art, 2004. Covers the design of functional objects, designers, craftspeople, design studios, consortiums and partnerships, noteworthy manufacturers, significant historical periods and styles, and materials.
- EnvDesign NK1370.B93 2004 Reference
- Dictionary for library and information science http://lu.com/odlis// Joan M. Reitz. Westport, Conn.: Libraries Unlimited, 2004.
- Doe Refe Z1006.R45 2004 Noncirculating
- Oxford Reference Online - Art and Architecture - UCB only Access to six art and architecture dictionaries published by Oxford University Press. Search sources collectively or search within an individual title.
- The Thames and Hudson encyclopaedia of 20th century design and designers / Guy Julier. New York, N.Y.: Thames and Hudson, 1993.
- EnvDesign NK1165 .J85 1993 Reference Desk
- for lists of libraries and museums, includes national and international
- American library directory, a list of libraries in the United States and Canada. New York, R.R. Bowker.
- Main Stack Z731.A53 Shelved: Latest vol.(2000/2001) in Information Center
- Guide to information resources in ethnic museum, library, and archival collections in the United States / compiled by Lois J. Buttlar & Lubomy R. Wynar. Westport, Conn : Greenwood Press, 1996
- Anthropol E154.A1A12 B89 1996 Reference, Info Ctr E154.A1A12 B89 1996
- Library architecture and buildings, 1985-1988 : a bibliography/ Vaughan, Barbara J. DiBartolo, Amy L.
- EnvDesign NA200.A12 A7 no.2312 Index
- University and college museums, galleries, and related facilities : a descriptive directory / Victor J. Danilov. Westport, Conn.: Greenwood Press, 1996.
- Art Hist AM11 .D35 1996 Room 308J Reference, Info Ctr AM11 .D35 1996
- for planning and designing facilities, includes standard elements, equipment and dimensions
- Architectural graphic standards. New York, Wiley. This is a classic. Includes regulations, standards, building methods, structural systems, & materials in use. Data sheets have installation and design configurations, performance specifications for building systems and components such as door frames, roof designs, and air ducts, outdoor sports facilities and historic preservation. New accessibility and security design, building systems, lighting designs, materials, and environmental construction.
- EnvDesign TH2031.R3 latest editions Reserve & Reference
- Checklist of library building design considerations / William W. Sannwald. 5th ed. Chicago American Library Association, 2009.
- EnvDesign Z679.2.U54 S36 2009
- Facilities standards for art libraries and visual resources collections / Art Libraries Society of North America; edited by Betty Jo Irvine. Englewood, Colo.: Libraries Unlimited, 1991.
- EnvDesign, Main Z675.A85 F33 1991
- Libraries for the future : planning buildings that work: papers from the LAMA Library Buildings Preconference, June 27-28, 1991 / edited by Ron G. Martin. Chicago: Library Administration and Management Association, American Library Association, 1992.
- Law Lib K662.B7 L3, Main Z679 .L48 1991
- Library buildings, equipment, and the ADA : compliance issues and solutions : proceedings of the LAMA Buildings and Equipment Section Preconference, June 24-25, 1993, New Orleans, Louisiana / edited by. Chicago: American Library Association, c1996.
- EnvDesign Z679.8 .L53 1993
- NFPA 909, standard for the protection of cultural resources including museums, libraries, places of worship. Quincy, MA: National Fire Protection Association, c2001.
- EnvDesign TH9445.M8.N3 2001
- Planning academic and research library buildings / Philip D. Leighton, David C. Weber. 3rd ed. Chicago: American Library Association, 1999, c2000. Excellent detailed overview of academic library design with details, measurements and resources.
- EnvDesign Z679 .M491 2000 Noncirculating, Law Lib K662.B7 L45 2000
- Planning additions to academic library buildings : a seamless approach / edited by Pat Hawthorne, Ron G. Martin. Chicago: American Library Association, 1995.
- EnvDesign, Main Z679.5 .P57 1995
- Planning and building libraries. University of British Columbia, School of Library, Archival and Information Studies.
- Planning and design of library buildings / Godfrey Thompson. 3rd ed. London: Butterworth Architecture, c1995.
- EnvDesign Z679 .T53 1995
- Planning for a new generation of public library buildings / Gerard B. McCabe. Westport, Conn.: Greenwood Press, 2000.
- EnvDesign: Z679.5 .M34 2000
- Planning library buildings and facilities: from concept to completion /Raymond M. Holt. Metuchen, N.J.: Scarecrow Press, 1989.
- EnvDesign, Main Z679.5 .H65 1989
- Planning library interiors: the selection of furnishings for the 21st century / by Carol R. Brown. Phoenix, Ariz.:Oryx Press, 1995.
- Law Lib K662.B7 B76 1995, Main Z684 .B86 1995
- Planning library buildings : a select bibliography / compiled by Anders C. Dahlgren and Erla P. Heyns. 4th ed.Chicago: American Library Association, 1995.
- EnvDesign Z679.A12 D35 1995
- Planning library facilities: a selected, annotated bibliography / by Mary Sue Stephenson. Metuchen, N.J.: Scarecrow Press, 1990.
- EnvDesign, Main Z679.5 .S73 1990
- Planning the modern public library building / Gerard B. McCabe and James R. Kennedy, editors. Westport, Conn.: Libraries Unlimited, 2003. Libraries Unlimited library management collection.
- EnvDesign Z679.5.P58 2003
- Time-saver standards for building types / Joseph De Chiara, editor, Michael J. Crosbie, editor. 4th ed. New York : McGraw-Hill, c2001.
- EnvDesign NA2760 .D42 2001. Copy 1 reserve; copy 2 reference
- University library building planning / by Heather M. Edwards. Metuchen, N.J.: Scarecrow Press, 1990.
- Main Z679.5 .E37 1990
Use these search terms for finding books in OskiCat & Melvyl & articles in the indexes
Libraries and education--Research
Library architecture--California--San Francisco
Library buildings--California--San Francisco--
Library buildings--Design and construction
San Francisco Public Library
Seattle Public Library
Indexes for Articles
- Architecture Indexes & Abstracts Use to locate articles on library and museum architecture, architectural history, construction, building technology, landscape architecture, interior design, and urban design and planning.
- Avery Index to Architectural Periodicals via CSA UC Only The primary article index for architecture. It indexes 2500+ scholarly and professional journals in the subjects of architecture, landscape architecture and urban design. Print ed. 1890-1988 (EnvDesign fNA8.C64 INDEX)
- Coverage: 1860's -- present, weekly updates
- Index to Current Urban Documents UCB Only Resource for local government publications of the United States.
- Online access via CDL http://uclibs.org/PID/7547
EnvDesign JS13.A12 M85 1(1972) --
- Lexis-Nexis Academic UCB Only Database for current worldwide news, business and legal information. Contains full text and abstracts to 6,000+ titles.
- Covers recent 20 years
- Library and Information Science Abstracts (LISA) UCB Only Covers the field of librarianship and information science. Abstracts 440+ international periodicals in over 20 different languages. SEarch under library design and evaluation.
- Coverage: 1969 - present
- Library Literature and Information full text UCB Only Indexes articles and book reviews in 234+ library and information science periodicals.
- Coverage: 1984 -- present
- Newspaper and Periodical Indexes for California - available in the Bancroft Library.
- NewsBank Fulltext Newspapers UC Only Full-text of local and regional news 300+ US newspapers. Includes titles not in Lexis/Nexis Academic like San Jose Mercury News and Sacramento Bee.
- PAIS International UC Only Public Affairs Information Service.
- Coverage: 1928-1995, CD-ROM 1995 --
- PapersFirst UC OnlyContains 580,000+ citations for papers presented at worldwide conferences, symposia, meetings, expositions, congresses, and workshops received at The British Library.
- Coverage: 1993 -- present
- Periodicals Index Online (formerly Periodicals Contents Index) UCB Only Gives article-level bibliographic access to the contents pages of a wide variety of scholarly periodicals. A complete Title List of the periodicals include in PCI Literature is available for review. Some full text. Indexes 2,500+ journals on art, business, humanities, health, social sciences, and sciences. Interfaces available for many languages.
- Coverage: 1971 -- present
- Sociological Abstracts: UC Only Articles from over 1,900 journals, books, book chapters, and reviews in the social sciences. Topics covered include anthropology, criminology, demography, education, law, social psychology, sociology, and urban development.
- Coverage: 1963 -- present
- Web of Knowledge UCB Only Science Citation Index, Online: 1900 -- present, Social Science Citation Index, Online: 1956 -- present, Arts and Humanities Citation Index, Online: 1975 -- present.
- Coverage: 1963 -- present
Selected current books for current designs.
- Academic libraries as high-tech gateways: a guide to design and space decisions / Richard J. Bazillion and Connie Braun. Chicago: American Library Association, 1995.
- EnvDesign Z679.2.U54 B39 1995
- ACRL/LAMA guide for architects / ACRL/LAMA Designing Spaces for Higher Education Task Force, 2007.
- Architecture for the books / Michael J. Crosbie. Mulgrave, Vic.: Images, 2003.
- EnvDesign Z679.2.N6.C76 2003
- The architecture of additions: design and regulation / Paul Spencer Byard. 1st ed. New York : W.W. Norton & Co., c1998. Focuses on additions to historical buildings, preservation of space and development. Drawings, photos, site plans included.
- EnvDesign NA2500.B93 1998
- Les bibliotheques parisiennes : architecture et decor / sous la direction de Myriam Bacha et Christian Hottin. Paris : Action artistique de la ville de Paris, 2002.
- EnvDesign Z679.2.F8.B544 2002
- Bibliotheken bauen: Tradition und Vision = Building for books: traditions and visions / Schweizerische Landesbibliothek; Susanne Bieri, Walther Fuchs. Basel; Boston: Birkhauser, 2001.
- EnvDesign Z721 .B58 2001
- Building libraries for the 21st century: the shape of information / edited by T.D. Webb. Jefferson, N.C.: McFarland, c2000.
- EnvDesign Z679 .B945 2000
- Building requirements for national libraries in developing countries : principles and standards / Halimah Badioze Zaman. Singapore; New York: Oxford University Press, 1989.
- Main Z679.2.D44 H34 1989
- Building type basics for museums / Arthur Rosenblatt ; Stephen A. Kliment, editor. New York : Wiley, 2001. Series title: Building type basics series. Includes case studies.
- EnvDesign NA6690 .R67 2001
- Collection Preservation in Library Building Design (PDF) / Barclay Ogden. Libris Design Project, 2004.
- Countdown to a new library: managing the building project / Jeannette Woodward. Chicago: American Library Association, 2000.
- EnvDesign Z679.2.U54.W66 2000
- The design and evaluation of public library buildings / Nolan Lushington and James M. Kusack. Hamden, Conn: Library Professional Publications, 1991.
- EnvDesign, Main Z679 .L95 1991
- Designing better libraries: selecting & working with building professionals / Richard C. McCarthy. 2nd ed. Ft. Atkinson, Wis.: Highsmith Press, c1999.
- EnvDesign Z679.2.U54 M33 1999
- Designing a school library media center for the future / Rolf Erikson,Carolyn Markuson. Chicago:American Library Association, 2001.
- EnvDesign Z675.S3 E75 2001
- Designing and renovating school library media centers/ Jane P. Klasing. Chicago: American Library Association, 1991. Series title: School library media programs ; no. 11.
- Main Z679 .K53 1991
- Designing the new museum : building a destination / James Grayson Trulove; with a foreword by David C. Levy. Gloucester, Mass.: Rockport Publishers, c2000.
- EnvDesign NA6695 .T78 2000
- The environmentalist's guide to the public library / Andrew Koebrick ; introduction by Sarah Feldstein. Updated 1997 ed. New York, N.Y.: Libraries for the Future, c1997.
- EnvDesign GE35 .K644 1997
- A history of building types / Nikolaus Pevsner. Princeton, N.J.: Princeton University Press, c1976.
- EnvDesign NA4170 .P481 Reference & Circulating
- Interior design for libraries: drawing on function & appeal / Carol R.Brown.Chicago:American Library Association, 2002.
- EnvDesign Z679.5 .B76 2002
- Libraries, new concepts in architecture & design / [supervised by Azusa Kito, Azusa Kito, Architect & Associates]. Tokyo, Japan: Meisei Publications, c1995.
- EnvDesign Z679.2.J3 L53 1995
- Library as place : rethinking roles, rethinking space http://www.clir.org/pubs/abstract/pub129abst.html / by Geoffrey T. Freeman et al. Washington, D.C.: Council on Library and Information Resources, c2005. Perspectives on the evolving library.
- Main Stack Z679.L532 2005
- Library construction from a staff perspective / by the Williamsburg Regional Library. Jefferson, N.C.: McFarland, c2001.
- EnvDesign Z679.5 .L49 2001
- Libris DESIGN is a library facility planning information system and downloadable database that was developed for California Public Library planners.
- Museum buildings : a design manual / Paul von Naredi-Rainer; contributions by Oliver Hilger .. [et al.]. Basel; Boston: Birkhauser, Publishers for Architecture, c2004. Includes design details, security, climate, lighting, case studies.
- EnvDesign NA6690.N37 2004
- Selecting library furniture: a guide for librarians, designers, and architects / by Carol R. Brown. Phoenix, Ariz.: Oryx Press, 1989.
- EnvDesign, Main Z684 .B861 1989
Human Dimension / Ergonomics
Measurement, scale, human comfort, and social environment; for more resources use search terms in the catalogs and indexes
- Environmental ergonomics : the ergonomics of human comfort, health, and performance in the thermal environment /... 1st ed. Amsterdam; Boston: Elsevier, 2005. Elsevier ergonomics se; v.3. Includes physiology, heat stress, cold stress, and thermal comfort.
- EnvDesign QP82.2.T4.E58 2005
- How libraries must comply with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) / compiled and edited by Donald D. Foos and Nancy ...Phoenix, AZ : Oryx, 1992.
- Main Stack Z711.92.H3.H68 1992
- Human dimension & interior space: a source book of design reference standards / by Julius Panero and Martin Zelnik. New York: Whitney Library of Design, 1979
- EnvDesign NA2542.4.P356 1979 Reference & Noncirculating
- International Encyclopedia of the Social & Behavioral Sciences (IESBS) - UCB Only This major social science reference work is the electronic version of the 26 volume IESBS. It contains 3800+ articles spread over 99 subject areas. Links from references to full text articles and indexes.
- Anthro, Doe Ref H41.I58 2001 v. 1-26
- The measure of man and woman: human factors in design / Alvin R.Tilley; Henry Dreyfuss Associates; Rev. ed.New York: Wiley, c2002. also in Engineering. Includes human measurements, added details for computer stations, ada compliance.
- EnvDesign TA166.M393 2002. CD on Reserve; book in stacks
- Methods in environmental and behavioral research / edited by Robert B. Bechtel, Robert W. Marans, William Michelson. New York: Van Nostrand, 1987.
- EnvDesign BF353.M481 1987
- Places of performance : the semiotics of theatre architecture / Marvin Carlson. Ithaca, N.Y. : Cornell University Press, 1989.
- EnvDesign NA6821.C361 1989
- Public places and private spaces : the psychology of work, play, and living environments / Albert Mehrabian. New York : Basic Books, c1976.
- EnvDesign BF353.M41, copies also in Ed/Psych and Moffitt
Building Performance & Post-occupancy Evaluation
- Building Science Guide - Performance and Evaluation
- How Libraries and Librarians help: a guide to identifying user-centered outcomes / Joan c. Durrance and Karen E. Fisher; with Marian Bouch Hinton. Chicago: American Library Association, 2005.
- EnvDesign Z685.85.D87 2005
- Use Indexes for articles on 'libraries - evaluation.'
- At home with books: how booklovers live with and care for their libraries / Estelle Ellis, Caroline Seebohm, Christopher Simon Sykes. 1st ed. New York : C. Southern Books, c1995.
- Main Z679.2.U54 S44 1995
- Books and blueprints: building America's public libraries / Donald E. Oehlerts. New York: Greenwood Press, 1991. Series title: Contributions in librarianship and information science no. 69.
- EnvDesign, Main Z679.2.U54 O44 1991
- Building for books: the architectural evolution of the Advocates's Library, 1689-1925 / Iain G. Brown. Aberdeen: Aberdeen University Press in association with the National Library of Scotland, 1989.
- EnvDesign, Main Z792.E34 B7 1989
- The evolution of the American academic library building/ David Kaser. Lanham, Md.: Scarecrow Press, 1997.
- Main Z679.2.U54 K37 1997
- Free to all : Carnegie libraries & American culture, 1890-1920 / Abigail A. Van Slyck. Chicago : University of Chicago Press, 1995.
- EnvDesign, Main Z679.2.U54 V36 1995
- The great libraries : from antiquity to the Renaissance (3000 B.C. to A.D. 1600) / by Konstantinos Sp. Staikos; preface by Helene Ahrweiler; translated by Timothy Cullen.1st English ed. New Castle, Del.: Oak Knoll Press; London: British Library, c2000.
- Main Z723 .S7313 2000
- Henry Hobson Richardson and the small public library in America: a study in typology / Kenneth A. Breisch. Cambridge, Mass.: MIT Press, c1997.
- EnvDesign Z679.2.U54 B74 1997
- Libraries and archives: design and renovation with a preservation perspective / by Susan Garretson Swartzburg and Holly Bussey, with Frank Garretson. Metuchen, N.J. : Scarecrow Press, 1991.
- Main Z679 .S84 1991
- Libraries and learning resource centres / Brian Edwards with Biddy Fisher. Oxford ; Boston: Architectural Press, c2002.
- EnvDesign Z679.E35 2002
- Library architecture + design / Manuela Roth. Salenstein: Braun; London: Thames & Hudson, 2011.
- EnvDesign Z679.R68 2011
- Library builders. London: Academy Editions; Lanham, Md.: Distributed to the trade in the United States of America by National Book Network, Inc., 1997.
- EnvDesign Z679 .L53 1997
- The library in the twenty-first century : new services for the information age / Peter Brophy. London: Library Association, 2000.
- EnvDesign Z665.B774 2001
- Logotopia: the library in architecture, art and the imagination / Sascha Hastings; Esther E Shipman; Cambridge Galleries. Design at Riverside Gallery. Cambridge, Ont.: Cambridge Galleries Design at Riverside, [2008.
- EnvDesign, Main Stacks Z679 .L64 2008
- University builders / Martin Pearce. Chichester : Wiley-Academy, 2001.
- EnvDesign NA6600 .P38 2001
- American Libraries 1970--
- Main Z671 .A54, Periodical Room Main Z671 .A54 set2
- Cities: the international journal of urban policy and planning. [Guildford, UK]: Butterworths.
- EnvDesign HT165.53 G7 C5
- Journal of urban history. Beverly Hills: Sage Publications.
- EnvDesign HT111 J681
- Library Journal
- Main Z671 .L7; Unbound issues in High-Use Section of Periodical Room
- Library trends. Unbound issues in High-Use Section of Periodical Room
- Main Z671 .L739 set 2
- Libraries & culture. <1988>
- Main Z671 .J675; Unbound issues in Periodical Room
- Planning history: bulletin of the International Planning History Society.
- EnvDesign HT166 .P55
- Planning perspectives: an international journal of history, planning and the environment. Intl Planning History Society.
- EnvDesign NA9000 .P59
- Urban history. Volume 22:3, 12/95, includes "Current bibliography of urban history: Cambridge University Press, c1992.
- EnvDesign HT101 .U72
Projects / Sites
- Herzog & de Meuron, Eberswalde Library / [authors, Gerhard Mack, Valeria Liebermann]. London : Architectural Association, c2000.
- EnvDesign NA1353.H47 M23 2000
- Making the Lowry / Jeremy Myerson ; photography by Len Grant. Manchester: The Lowry Press, 2000.
- EnvDesign NA6813.G72 S25 2000
- Seattle Public Library - This new building was designed by Rem Koolhaas. It incorporate new design features. see the post occupancy evaluation.
- San Francisco Public Library - Architecture http://sfpl.org/index.php?pg=2000023201, Post-Occupancy Evaluation http://sfpl.org/index.php?pg=2000043301
- American Library Association - Library Leadership and Management Association (LLAMA) - includes library building awards
- Artcyclopedia - Museums around the world
- California State Library
- Council on Library and Information Resources - CLIR is an independent, nonprofit organization. Through publications, projects, and programs, works to maintain and improve access to information for generations to come. In partnership with other institutions, CLIR helps create services that expand the concept of "library" and supports the providers and preservers of information.
- Institute of Museum and Library Services
- Urban Libraries Council - Founded in 1971, the Urban Libraries Council is an association of public libraries in metropolitan areas and the corporations that serve them. Believing that thriving public libraries are a result of collaborative leadership, the trustees, library directors, and corporate officers of member institutions work together to address shared issues, grasp new opportunities, and conduct research that improves professional practice.
- International Union of Architects - Architecture Museums