Landscape Architecture Reference Sources
Landscape Architecture Reference Sources is a selective bibliographic guide to basic landscape architecture reference sources in the Environmental Design Library and selected campus libraries of the University of California, Berkeley. Use this guide to find quick answers to factual questions, or to get started in your research. For additional assistance, please consult the Environmental Design Library reference staff, 210 Wurster Hall.
UC Berkeley faculty, registered students, and staff who are off campus may use items marked UCB Only or UC Only by using The Library's off-campus access services.
Compiled by Deborah Sommer, Landscape Architecture Librarian. Content reviewed: June 2010
See also the series of topical research guides to UC Berkeley Library and web resources for landscape architecture.
- Landscape architecture sourcebook: a guide to resources on the history and practice of landscape architecture in the United States, by Diana Vogelsong, Detroit, MI: Omnigraphics, 1997.
- EnvDesign SB470.53 A12 L36 1997 Reference Desk
- Thesis and dissertation research (UC Berkeley, Library)
A strategic guide for city planning, urban design, and landscape architecture graduate students beginning their thesis or dissertation work at UC Berkeley.
- The School in a garden: foundations and founders of landscape architecture, by Gordon T. Millichap, J. Gordon Millichap. Chicago: PNB Publishers, 2000.
- EnvDesign SB470.5 M54 2000
Dictionaries & Glossaries
See the Plants & Horticulture section for additional dictionaries.
- Dictionary - landscape and urban planning: multilingual dictionary on environmental planning, design and conservation, Evert Klaus-Jurgen, ed. NY: Springer, 2001.
English, German, French, Spanish.
- EnvDesign HD108.3 L49 2001 Reference
- A Dictionary of environmental quotations, Barbara K. Rodes & Rice Odell, comps. NY: Simon & Schuster, 1992.
- EnvDesign PN6084 N2 D53 1992 Reference
- A Dictionary of landscape: a dictionary of terms used in the description of the world's land surface, by George A. Goulty. Brookfield, VT: Gower, 1991.
- EnvDesign QH75 G645 1991 Reference Desk
- A Dictionary of landscape architecture, by Baker H. Morrow. Albuquerque: Univ. of New Mexico Pr., 1987.
- EnvDesign SB469.25 M671 1987 Reference Desk
- Dictionnaire historique de l'art des jardins, by Michel Conan. [Paris]: Hazan, .
- EnvDesign SB469.25 C66 1997 Reference
- Elsevier's dictionary of environment: in English, French, Spanish and Arabic, by M. Bakr, comp. NY: Elsevier, 1998.
- EnvDesign GE10 E36 1998 Reference
- The Environment dictionary, by David D. Kemp. NY: Routledge, 1998.
- EnvDesign GE10 K45 1998 Reference
- The Penguin dictionary of architecture and landscape architecture, by John Fleming, Hugh Honour, Nikolaus Pevsner. 5th ed. NY: Penguin Books, 1998.
- EnvDesign NA31 F55 1998 Reference Desk
- Spanish/English landscape dictionary. Sacramento: California Landscape Contractors Association, [1992?]
- EnvDesign SB469.25 S65 1992 Reference
- A Technical glossary of horticultural and landscape terminology. Washington, DC: Horticultural Research Institute .
- EnvDesign SB45 T4 Reference
Encyclopedias & Compendia
See the Plants & Horticulture section for additional encyclopedias.
- Decorating Eden: a comprehensive sourcebook of classic garden details, Elizabeth Wilkinson and Marjorie Henderson, eds., San Francisco: Chronicle Books, 1992.
- EnvDesign SB469.25 H67 1992 Reference
- Dictionary of art, Jane Turner, ed. NY: Grove, 1996.
Not a dictionary, in spite of its name. Includes excellent articles on landscape topics. Bibliographies & illustrations. Available online as Oxford art online.
- Online ed.: Oxford art online UCB Only http://www.oxfordartonline.com/
Print ed.: EnvDesign N31 D5 1996 Reference v.1-34
- Dictionary of gardening, Anthony Huxley, ed. in chief; Mark Griffiths, ed. 4 vols. NY: Stockton Press, 1992.
Includes plant descriptions, plant science, garden history, horticultural science, gardening techniques, biographies.
- EnvDesign SB450.95 D53 1992 Reference
- Dictionnaire historique de l'art des jardins, by Michel Conan. [Paris]: Hazan, .
- EnvDesign SB469.25 C66 1997 Reference
- Dictionary of environment and sustainable development, byAlan Gilpin. NY: Wiley, 1996.
- EnvDesign HC79 E5 G518 1996 Reference
- Encyclopedia of gardens: history and design, Chicago Botanic Garden. Candice A. Shoemaker, ed. 3 volumes. Chicago: Fitzroy Dearborn, 2001--.
Excellent source for landscape design history. Substantive signed articles are illustrated and each includes a brief bibliography. Chronologies of of selected projects are given for landscape designers.
- EnvDesign SB465 E63 2001 Reference Desk
- Environmental encyclopedia, William P. Cunningham ... [et al.], eds. 2nd ed. Detroit: Gale, 1998.
- EnvDesign GE10 E58 1998 Reference
- Environmental literature: an encyclopedia of works, authors, and themes, Patricia D. Netzley, comp. Santa Barbara, CA: ABC-CLIO, 1999.
- EnvDesign GE35 E58 1999 Reference
- Larousse gardening and gardens, Pierre Anglade, ed. NY: Facts On File, 1990.
- EnvDesign SB450.97 L37 1990 Noncirculating
- Lexicon of garden and landscape architecture, by Meto J. Vroom. Boston: Birkhauser-Publishers for Architecture, 2006.
Contains short illustrated articles on landscape architecture concepts and practices.
- EnvDesign SB469.25 V76 2006 Reference Desk
- The Oxford companion to the garden, Patrick Taylor, ed. NY: Oxford Univ. Pr., 2006.
Online table of contents. A one-volume encyclopedia of short authoritative articles on notable gardens, landscape designers, garden features, etc. New ed. of the classic The Oxford companion to gardens. Selectively illustrated. Bibliography: pp.531-538.
- EnvDesign SB 469.25 O951 2006 Reference Desk & circulating
Bibliographies & Library Catalogs
- American garden literature in the Dumbarton Oaks collection (1785-1900): from the New England farmer to Italian gardens: an annotated bibliography, by Joachim Wolschke-Bulmahn and Jack Becker. Washington, D.C.: Dumbarton Oaks Research Library and Collection, 1998.
- EnvDesign SB472.45 A12 W65 1998 Reference
- Architectural & garden history: a selection of rare & important books from the 16th to the 20th centuries on architecture, architectural history, & landscape gardening. South Woodstock, CT: Charles B. Wood III, Inc., 1983.
- EnvDesign NA200 A12 A65 1983 Reference
- L'Art des jardins: catalogue des collections de la bibliotheque administrative de la Ville de Paris, de la Bibliotheque Forney, de la bibliotheque historique de la Ville de Paris, de la bibliotheque de l'ecole du Breuil, [coordination Claudine Chevrel]. Paris: Paris bibliotheques, 1999.
- EnvDesign NA200 A12 A66 1999
- Bibliography of landscape architecture, environmental design, and planning, by Antoinette Paris Powell. Phoenix: Oryx Pr., 1987.
- EnvDesign SB472 A12 P671 1987 Reference Desk & circulating
- The Built environment: a subject index 1800-1960, Brookfield, VT.: Dist. in the USA by Gower, 1989.
Vol. 1 includes gardens and landscape design.
- EnvDesign HT166 A12 R8 1989 Reference
- Catalog of the Avery Memorial Architectural Library of Columbia University. 2d ed., enl. Boston: G. K. Hall, 1968.
Includes landscape architecture.
- EnvDesign fNA8 C63 1968 Reference vols. 2-19
- Catalogue of the Library of the Graduate School of Design, Harvard University. Boston: G. K. Hall, 1968--.
- EnvDesign fNA8 H3 v. 1-44 & Supplement Reference
- Environmental literature: an encyclopedia of works, authors, and themes, Patricia D. Netzley, comp. Santa Barbara: ABC-CLIO, 1999.
- EnvDesign GE35 E58 1999
- Gardeners delight: gardening books from 1560 to 1960, by Martin Hoyles. Boulder, CO: Pluto Pr., 1994.
- EnvDesign SB318.3 H69 1994 v.1-2
- The Island Press bibliography of environmental literature, Joseph A. Miller, [et al.], comps. Covelo, CA: Island Pr., 1993.
- EnvDesign QH541 A12 I83 1993 Reference
- Landscape architecture subject guide (Univ. of New South Wales, Physical Sciences Library)
Bibliography of web and print reference sources in landscape architecture.
- http://subjectguides.library.unsw.edu.au/content.php?pid=16250&sid=109412 >
- The Lindley library; catalogue of books, pamphlets, manuscripts and drawings. London: Royal Horticultural Society, 1927.
- EnvDesign Z792 L65 R5
- Making educated decisions: a landscape preservation bibliography, Charles A. Birnbaum & Cheryl Wagner, eds. Washington, D.C.: Dept. of the Interior, National Park Service, Cultural Resources, Preservation Assistance Division, Historic Landscape Initiative, 1994.
- EnvDesign CC135 A12 M34 1994 Reference
- One hundred years of American garden design literature: 1840-1940, by Roger Franklin. 1979. Master's thesis, Landscape Architecture, Univ. of California, Berkeley.
- EnvDesign NA25.5 F8335
Indexes & Abstracts
Journal article indexes are valuable in helping to identify articles on a particular topic. Listed here are subject guides to indexes and abstracts.
- Landscape architecture indexes & abstracts (UC Berkeley, Library)
Lists paper and electronic journal article indexes in the field of landscape architecture.
The following guides may also be helpful, given the multidisciplinary character of landscape architecture.
- Book review sources for environmental design (UC Berkeley, Library)
A bibliographic guide to sources of book reviews for the built environment, including landscape architecture, urban design, and environmental planning. Instructions for using the sources are provided.
- Journals with book reviews: Here is a selection of journals that usually contain landscape architecture book reviews. Recent print journal issues are shelved in the unbound periodicals and older issues are shelved in the bound periodicals stacks. All online journals are available for UCB Only.
Plants & Horticulture
- The American Horticultural Society A-Z encyclopedia of garden plants, Christopher Brickell, Trevor Cole, eds.-in-chief. Rev. ed. NY: DK Pub., 2004.
- EnvDesign SB403.2 A438 2004 Reference
- The Brooklyn Botanic Garden's gardener's desk reference. Janet Marinelli, general ed. NY: H. Holt, 1998.
- EnvDesign SB450.96 B76 1998 Reference
- The Design characteristics of plant materials; plant form studies, by Gary O. Robinette, [Madison, WI, College Printing & Typing Co., 1967].
- EnvDesign NK1560 R6 Reference & circulating
- A Gardener's book of plant names; a handbook of the meaning and origins of plant names, by Archibald Smith. NY: Harper & Row .
- EnvDesign QK11 S56 Reference
- The Gardener's dictionary of horticultural terms, Harold Bagust, comp. NY: Dist. in the U.S. by Sterling Pub. Co., 1996.
- EnvDesign SB317.58 B33 1996
- The Hillier gardener's guide to trees & shrubs: a directory of more than 4,000 high-performance trees and shrubs for the garden, John Kelly, ed.; John Hillier, consultant ed. North American ed. Pleasantville, NY: Reader's Digest Association, [1997?]
Each listing describes the plants growth habit. The color photos are excellent; however, not all cultivars listed are illustrated. Has a greater range of plants than Dirr's Hardy Trees and Shrubs, although Dirr's photos are generally better at giving a sense of the plant form (SB435.5 H37 1997).
- EnvDesign SB435 H54 1997 Reference
- Hortus third: a concise dictionary of plants cultivated in the United States and Canada, L.H. Baily, comp. NY: Macmillan, 1976.
- EnvDesign SB45 B221 1976 Reference
- The Oxford encyclopedia of trees of the world, Bayard Hora, consultant ed. NY: Oxford Univ. Pr., 1981.
Especially useful for images of trees in the landscape.
- EnvDesign QK475 O79 Reference
- Plants and their names: a concise dictionary, by R. Hyam, R. Pankhurst. NY: Oxford Univ. Pr., 1995.
- EnvDesign QK96 P35 1995 Reference
- Trees in the urban landscape: principles and practice, by Anthony Bradshaw, Ben Hunt, and Tim Walmsley. NY: E & FN Spon, 1995.
- EnvDesign SB436 B73 1995
- Architecture Visual Resources Center (UC Berkeley)
A collection of 225,000 35mm slides of architecture, urbanism, landscape architecture, art and design, and related fields for use by the UC Berkeley College of Environmental Design faculty and graduate students. A partial catalog of the collection, together with thumbnail digital images, is available via the SPIRO image database.
- Beatrix Farrand Collections | Guide
An outstanding landscape architecture resource at UC Berkeley is the collections donated by Beatrix Jones Farrand, America's first woman registered landscape architect.
- Environmental Design Library: Books and periodicals
From Farrand's Reef Point Gardens Library. A partial list of these titles may be viewed in OskiCat, the Library's catalog: select the Advanced Keyword Search → Select field: NOTES → Enter "reef point" or "Beatrix Farrand." Some items are noncirculating and may not be photocopied.
- Environmental Design Archives: Drawings, prints, & documents
For a partial list of the collection see C.E.D. documents collection catalogue of holdings, Part 3: Farrand, Jekyll 820-1258, EnvDesign NA 730 C2 U55 1990 Reference. Noncirculating. For additional information contact the Archives: (510) 642-5124.
- UC Berkeley Herbarium: Plant specimens
From Farrand's Reef Point Herbarium.
- Environmental Design Archives. The work of most of the San Francisco Bay Region's historically significant architects and landscape architects are represented in the collections of more than 150 architects and firms, including Gertrude Jekyll, Beatrix Farrand, Thomas Church,and Garrett Eckbo. These collections contain drawings, plans, specifications, photographs, audio-tapes, personal papers, business records, furniture, art, and artifacts. Access is by appointment only.
- EDA home page http://www.ced.berkeley.edu/cedarchives/
- Selected finding aids - Use the following path from The Library home page: UC Berkeley archival finding aids → Environmental Design Archives Finding Aids
Here is a selection of gateway sites for landscape architecture. See Landscape Architecture Online and Environmental Planning for other topical web links.
- Architecture and building (Univ. of Nevada, Libraries)
Topics covered in Jeanne Brown's guide iinclude architecture, building and construction, design, planning, preservation, energy and the environment, and landscape architecture.
- Sapling: architecture, planning & landscape information gateway
Websites are individually reviewed and rated. UK-based.
- CELA member institutions
Lists schools with landscape architecture programs. U.S. emphasis.
- EnvDesign SB469 D56 Noncirculating
- Directory of gardens in North America: and other AABGA institutional members, American Association of Botanical Gardens and Arboreta, comp. Kennett Square, PA: American Association of Botanical Gardens and Arboreta (AABGA), 1998.
- EnvDesign SB466 U6 D598 1998 Reference
- Environmental professional's homepage: professional associations
- European foundation for landscape architecture
EFLA represents the European Union national professional associations of landscape architects.
- Parks directory of the United States, Darren L. Smith, Kay Gill, eds. 5th ed. Detroit, MI: Omnigraphics, 2007.
Lists more than 5,270 state and national parks, urban prks, wildlife refuges, and more. Each listing includes a brief history of the park, its size and available facilties, as well as available activities and special features.
- EnvDesign E160 S65 2007 Reference
- World directory of environmental organizations. [Claremont, CA]: California Institute of Public Affairs.
- EnvDesign S920 W671 Latest ed. Reference Desk
Related Organizations & Networks
Campus Libraries & Archives