Landscape Architecture Online
Landscape Architecture online lists a few Web resources pertaining to landscape architecture, in support of the landscape architecture program at the University of California, Berkeley. Links to more comprehensive link collections are included. For online resources in environmental planning, see the Web guide Environmental Planning (Univ. of Calif., Berkeley, Library). Note that abundant print resources related to landscape architecture are also available at the Berkeley campus; please consult the Environmental Design Library reference staff for assistance.
UC Berkeley faculty, registered students, and staff who are off campus may use items marked UCB Only or UC Only by using The Library's proxy service.
Deborah Sommer, Landscape Architecture Librarian, Environmental Design Library.
Content reviewed: June 2010
Print directories are also available in the Environmental Design Library; consult the Library catalogs.
- LandscapeCatalog (Landscape
Communications) Includes a directory of landscape architecture firms and other landscape professionals, listed by U.S. state.
- Landscapeonline.com (Landscape Communications) Includes directories of landscape professionals and supplies, listed by U.S. state.
Individual Organizations & Networks
Here is a small selection of landscape-focussed organizations and networks. See the gateway sites in this document for many more.
Jobs & Job Hunting
- Job Hunting (UC Berkeley, Library) Includes online job listings, internships, career planning, creating
portfolios, resumes, and more.
Here is a selection of guides to Web & print resources for landscape architecture. For additional research guides see Environmental Design Library Guides.
Journals & Indexes
For additional full text journals available online, see the Library directory of electronic journals listed under Community and Urban Planning. Note that many of these journals are available only to University of California or UCB students and faculty.
The Web can be a great source of landscape images. See also Image sources for the built environment (Environmental Design Library) for links to visual libraries on the Web.
- American Landscape and Architectural Design, 1850-1920 (Harvard Univ.) This collection of approximately 2,800 lantern slides represents an historical view of American buildings and landscapes built during the period 1850-1920. Offers views of cities, specific buildings, parks, estates and gardens, including a complete history of Boston's Park System. In addition to photographs, views include plans, maps, & models. Hundreds of private estates from all over the U.S. are represented in the collection through contemporary views of their houses and gardens. Also indexed in the American Memory project.
- American Memory (U.S.Library of Congress) Multimedia collections of digitized documents, photographs, recorded sound, moving pictures, and text from the Library of Congress' Americana collections.
- California Heritage Project (UC Berkeley, Library) A digital archive containing photographs, pictures, and manuscripts from the collections of The Bancroft Library. Includes many historical images of SF Bay
- History of Landscape Architecture (Univ. of Oregon, Dept. of Landscape Architecture) A selection of digitized color photographs of gardens, agriculture, classical Western landscapes, paradise gardens, Islamic, Spanish, Moghul, medieval gardens, 18th & 19th century America. Not searchable.
- SPIRO (UC Berkeley, Architecture Visual Resources Center) The visual online public access catalog to approximately 16% of the Architecture Slide Library's collection of over 200,000 35mm slides. The collection is available
to UCB faculty and graduate students.
- Vilar: Virtual Landscape Gallery Searchable database of 1700+ photographic images (primarily color) of European landscapes and gardens. Search by century (15th-20th), site name (use "touristic" search), garden feature (use "ornaments and construction" search), etc. In French or English.
Academic & Research Programs