Landscape Architecture 171
- The American Designed Landscape Since 1850 - Research Guide
Landscape Architecture 171 - The American Designed Landscape Since 1850 is a strategic and bibliographic research guide to UC Berkeley library and web resources for UCB students taking LA 171. Here you'll find research techniques and sources for your site study. For additional assistance, please consult the Environmental Design Library reference staff, 210 Wurster Hall.
DECONSTRUCT your topic to uncover its complexities, to focus your research, and to increase your search vocabulary (for example, the more ways you have of describing and thinking about your site, the more likely you are to find a plan or section). Another term for deconstructing a research question
is 'concept mapping;' see the Rhode Island School of Design Library's excellent slide show, Concept Mapping, for a visual tutorial.
Add to your 'deconstruction notes' as you learn more about your site.
FILL-IN THE BLANKS with basic facts. Search reference sources for an overview of your site. Note particular keywords, terms, authors, bibliographies, and footnotes. Learn specific project names, designers, locations, and dates designed and constructed. Add this information to your deconstruction notes.
The Architecture handbook: a student guide to understanding buildings, by Jennifer Masengarb with Krisann Rehbein. Chicago: Chicago Architecture Foundation, 2007. See Chapter 7: Orientation of the building to the site and Chapter 8: Topography & Landscape.
EnvDesign NA2540.M37 2007
Clues to American garden styles, by David P. Fogle, Catherine Mahan, Christopher Weeks. Washington: Starrhill Press, 1988.
- EnvDesign SB457.53 F641 1988 Reference Desk & circulating
Great city parks, by Alan Tate.
NY: Spon Press, 2001. Covers 20 public parks in 14 American and Western European cities.
- EnvDesign SB484 E8 T37 2001 Reference & circulating
Grove art online (now included in Oxford art online) -
Electronic version of The 34 vol. Dictionary of art, Jane Turner, ed. NY: Grove, 1996. Contains 45,000+ articles on the visual arts, including architecture, from prehistory to the present. Excellent bibliographies and links to images and related sites.
- Print ed.: EnvDesign N31 D5 1996 Reference, Index: v.34
- Guidebooks are great sources for basic facts about a site. Look for architectural and tourist guidebooks, as well as guides to the history of a place. In Melvyl, search for SUBJECT GUIDEBOOKS AND KEYWORD PLACE NAME.
Here're a few examples:
- Berkeley landmarks: an illustrated guide to Berkeley, California's architectural heritage EnvDesign NA735.B38.C34 2001 Reference Desk
- A Guide to San Francisco and the Bay region EnvDesign F868 S156 B4 1966 Reference & circulating
San Francisco architecture: an illustrated guide
EnvDesign NA735 S35 W64 2005 Reference Desk & circulating
- San Francisco, the bay and its cities
EnvDesign F869 S3 W951 1972 Reference Desk & circulating
- Silicon Valley handbook: including San Jose, Sunnyvale, Palo Alto and South Valley
EnvDesign F868 S25 C46 2000 Reference
Encyclopedia of gardens: history and design, Chicago Botanic Garden.
Candice A. Shoemaker, ed. 3 vols. Chicago: Fitzroy Dearborn, 2001. Excellent
source for landscape design history. Substantive signed articles are illustrated; each includes a brief bibliography. Chronologies
of selected projects are given for landscape designers.
EnvDesign SB465 E63 2001 Reference Desk
The Oxford companion to the garden, Patrick Taylor, ed.
NY: Oxford Univ. Pr., 2006.
Table of contents. A one-volume encyclopedia of short authoritative articles on notable gardens,
landscape designers, garden features, etc. New ed. of the classic The Oxford companion
to gardens. Selectively illustrated. Bibliography: pp.531-538.
- EnvDesign SB 469.25 O951 2006 Reference Desk & circulating
- Site & insight: exploring notable Bay Area landscape architecture, by Students of LA298, Department of Landscape Architecture & Environmental Planning; Helaine Kaplan Prentice, ed. Berkeley: College of Environmental Design, Univ. of Calif.,  Describes 13 Bay Area sites; illustrated.
- EnvDesign SB469.5 C2 S58 2002
- Wikipedia Web-based, collaboratively-authored
encyclopedia. Useful for confirming a research starting point. READER BEWARE: Content is non-authoritative,
and in some instances has been demonstrated to be deliberately false.
are lists of writings or citations on a particular subject, time period, or author. Look at book chapters, textbooks, and articles for additional bibliographies and footnotes.
Environmental Design Library Research Guides for research in the history of the built environment. Guides include both print and web materials.
- Dictionary of landscape architecture and construction, by Alan Jay Christensen. NY: McGraw-Hill, 2005.
EnvDesign SB469.25 C48 2005 Reference Desk
- Lexicon of garden and landscape architecture, by Meto J. Vroom.
Boston: Birkhauser-Publishers for Architecture, 2006. Contains short illustrated articles on landscape architecture
concepts and practices.
EnvDesign SB469.25 V76 2006 Reference Desk
Oxford reference online - art and architecture -
Search multiple online art and architecture dictionaries published by Oxford University Press.
- American landscape architecture: designers and places, William H. Tishler, ed.
Washington, DC: Preservation Pr., 1989.
- EnvDesign SB470.53 A441 1989 Reference Desk & circulating
- California urban parks and open spaces: case studies of 35 parks, plazas, gardens and streets, Andrea Cochran, Mark Francis, Heath Schenker, eds. Davis: Center for Design Research, Univ. of California, Davis, 1998
- EnvDesign SB482 C2 C432 1998 Reference
Dictionary of today's landscape designers, Pierluigi
Nicolin, Francesco Repishti, eds. London: Thames & Hudson, 2003. For 86 international
contemporary landscape architects and designers, engineers, artists, and more, provides a biographical
note, a list of works and related bibliography, and color photographs of significant designs.
- EnvDesign SB469.37 D53 2003 Reference
- Influential gardeners: the designers who shaped 20th-century
garden style, by Andrew Wilson. NY: Clarkson Potter/Publisher, 2002.
Includes illustrated biographies of 57 international landscape architects and designers.
- EnvDesign SB469.9 W55 2002
Pioneers of American landscape design, Charles A. Birnbaum, Robin Karson, eds. NY: McGraw-Hill, 2000.
Contains excellent biographical essays about 160 American landscape architects
and designers and their work. Each essay includes a brief bibliography. Illustrated.
- EnvDesign SB469.9 P56 2000 Reference Desk
Shaping the American landscape: new profiles from the pioneers of American landscape design project, Charles A. Birnbaum, Stephanie S. Foell, eds. Charlottesville: Univ. of Virginia Pr., 2009.
Contains excellent biographical essays about 160 American landscape architects
and designers and their work. Each essay includes a brief bibliography. Illustrated.
- EnvDesign SB469.9 S53 2009 Reference Desk
General Histories & Surveys
provide an overview and the context of a topic, with dates, locations, special sites, and the names of architects or designers. They usually include bibliographies. Here is a sample of the landscape architecture histories and surveys in the Environmental Design Library.
- A Genius for place: American landscapes of the country place era, by Robin Karson. Amherst: Univ. of Massachusetts Pr.: In association with Library of American Landscape History, 2007.
- EnvDesign SB469.9 K37 2007
The Golden age of American gardens:
proud owners, private estates, 1890-1940, by Mac Griswold,
Eleanor Weller. NY: H.N. Abrams, in association with the Garden Club of
America, 1991. Includes extensive notes and bibliography.
- EnvDesign SB466 U6 G75 1991
- Grounds for change: major gardens
of the twentieth century, by William Howard Adams. Boston: Little,
Brown and Co., 1993.
- EnvDesign SB465 A33 1993
- Invisible gardens: the search for
modernism in the American landscape, by Peter Walker and Melanie Simo.
Cambridge, MA: MIT Pr., 1994.
- EnvDesign SB470.5 W34 1994
Landscape design: a cultural and architectural history, by Elizabeth Barlow Rogers. NY: Harry N. Abrams, 2001.
EnvDesign SB470.5 R64 2001 Reserve & circulating
- Modern garden design: innovation since 1900, by Janet
Waymark. London: Thames & Hudson, 2003.
- EnvDesign SB472.45 W39 2003
- The Park and the town: public landscape in the 19th and 20th centuries,
by George F. Chadwick. London: Architectural Pr., 1966. Covers the development of
public parks in the U.S. and Europe. Includes illustrations and
- EnvDesign SB481 C47
- The Politics of park design: a history of urban parks in America, by Galen Cranz. Cambridge, MA: MIT Pr., 1982.
- EnvDesign & Moffitt SB482 A4 C73 1982
- Regional garden design in the United States, Therese O'Malley and Marc Treib, eds. Washington, DC: Dumbarton Oaks Research Library and Collection, 1995.
- EnvDesign SB457.53 R44 1995
Find Images & Plans
Also see landscape architecture histories and journal articles, as well as additional image databases.
- Aerial photos:
Earth Sciences & Map Library (EART) has an excellent collection of aerial photos of
California, 1939--present. A master index is available in EART.
- Aerial photography and image interpretation, by David P. Paine,
James D. Kiser. 2nd ed. Hoboken, NJ: John Wiley, 2003. Online
table of contents
- Bioscience & Earth Sci TR810 P25 2003
- Catalog of aerial photography--Non-California & International
(Microsoft Co.) Site includes links to online aerial photo resources.
- Some digitized
aerial photos of the San Francisco Bay Area are available on The Library's
- MSR maps (Microsoft Co.) Formerly TerrraServer-USA, the site offers free, public access to online maps and aerial photographs of the United States.
- American designed landscapes: a photographic interpretation, by Alan Ward, Washington, DC: Spacemaker Pr.,
1998--. Beautiful black and white photographs of 18 significant American designed landscapes,
including Middleton Place, Biltmore, Mount Auburn cemetery, and Cranbrook. Includes plans for each
- EnvDesign fSB457.53 W27 1998 v.1
landscape and architectural design, 1850-1920, Harvard Univ.
This collection of approximately 2,800 lantern slides offers views of cities, specific
buildings, parks, estates and gardens, including a complete history of
Boston's Park System. Views include photographs, plans,
maps, & models. Private American estates are represented in the collection through contemporary views of their houses
and gardens. Also indexed in the American Memory project.
memory. U.S.Library of Congress. Multimedia collections of digitized
documents, photographs, recorded sound, moving pictures, and text from
the Library of Congress' Americana collections.
UCB Only - Digital library of more than 1 million images including architectural images.
Image sources for the built environment - Environmental Design Library research guide.
- Plat maps, also called fire insurance
maps, show a variety of details, including actual lot boundaries, special
uses, building materials and building footprints.
- -----. Digital Sanborn
maps, 1867-1970 (UMI) - UCB Only
Site provides digital access to more than 660,000 large-scale maps of more
than 12,000 American towns and cities. The maps "are large-scale plans
containing...information such as the outline of each building, the size,
shape and construction materials, heights, and function of structures,
location of windows and doors. The maps also give street names, street
and sidewalk widths, property boundaries, building use, and house and block
- -----. Fire
insurance maps (UC Berkeley, Library) Links to description
of and indexes to fire insurance maps.
- -----. Sanborn Fire Insurance Maps, San Francisco, California, 1899/1900, courtesy of San Francisco Genealogy. The black and white maps presented here are from six volumes that covered San Francisco in 1899 and 1900. To locate a specific location, consult the various indexes to locate the correct Map Sheet. Then select the appropriate link.
- -----. Insurance maps of Berkeley, California, Sanborn Map Company. NY: The Co., 1911. Includes Albany and parts of Emeryville and Oakland.
- EnvDesign fffG1529 B6 S3Rare v.2 only, 1911 corrected to 1933
- San Francisco Maps, courtesy of San Francisco Genealogy. Guide and links to historic, street and other maps.
- SPIRO, UC Berkeley Architecture Department, Visual Resources Center (VRC). SPIRO is the public
online image catalog of approximately 20% of the VRC's collection of over 200,000 35mm slides. The collection itself is available to UCB faculty and graduate students.
World architecture index: a guide to illustrations, Edward H. Teague, comp. NY: Greenwood Press, 1991. Indexes illustrations of 7,200+ architectural works in standard books on world architecture (UC Berkeley call numbers are annotated in the front of the book). Includes landscapes. Lists the type of illustration to be found, e.g., plans, sections, and elevations.
EnvDesign NA202 T4 1991 Reference Desk & Reference
FIND BOOKS for an in-depth discussion of your site. Note that for many sites you will not find an entire book; instead, you may find a chapter or an essay in a book focussed on a general aspect of your site (refer to your deconstruction list for ideas). Example: a book on urban parks might include information about Golden Gate Park.
In the Library's catalogs use keywords or subject headings to search for title, subject, author, or corporate author.
Search for a time period:
Landscape Architecture, 20th century
Search for a type of landscape or site:
Water in landscape architecture
Search for a location: city, state, or country:
Landscape Architecture--New York
Search for a specific landscape architect or designer:
Search for a specific project or site:
Biltmore Estate--North Carolina
Golden Gate Park--San Francisco, California
Search for firms or organizations using corporate authors such as:
American Society of Landscape Architects
FIND ARTICLES for current and retrospective information.Search article indexes to find journal articles, conference papers and other documents. There are many more than listed here. For information for off-campus access to The Library's databases see Connecting from Off Campus. Most databases are available to only to UCB or UC faculty and students.
- Journals, Periodicals, Magazines, and Serials -- these terms refer to the same thing. Journal articles are generally NOT included in the Library Catalogs.
- Use Environmental Design Library indexes and abstracts to expand your search on your topic.
Architecture Indexes | Landscape Architecture Indexes | City Planning Indexes
- Use the UCB list of Electronic Resources: Article Databases to identify other related indexes.
- Not all articles or journals are available electronically, full text. Some indexes use to look up call numbers and locations for print journals. Use Library's catalogs to look up journal call numbers in indexes that don't use UC e-links. Search under the title of the journal.
Here is a selection of indexes that are especially helpful for landscape architecture research. When searching for your site, remember to use truncation or wildcards (* or ?) for variations of words (e.g., park*)
Academic search complete - UC Only
Includes articles from popular and scholarly journals in the humanities, social sciences, and general sciences. Citations, abstracts and some full text for nearly 11,000 journals; can limit to scholarly journals.
America: history and life - UCB Only
Citations, abstracts and some full text on the history and culture of the U.S. and Canada from prehistoric times to the present.
Online ed.: 1964-present
Print ed.: 1954--present; Main Stack E3 A43
Art full text-
Contains citations to items from over 300 international publications.
Online ed.: 1984--present
Print ed.: EnvDesign N18 A72 Index
Art index retrospective -
Bibliographic database that cumulates citations to Art Index, volumes 1-32.
Online ed.: 1929-1984;
Print ed.: 1929-1994; EnvDesign N18 A72 Index
Avery index to architectural periodicals -
UCB Only | Video Tutorial
articles in 1,000+ periodicals in architecture, landscape architecture, urban design,
& related disciplines.
Online ed.: 1890--present;
Print ed.: 1890-1995; EnvDesign fNA8 C64 1973 Index
Bibliography of the history of art (BHA) -
Online ed.: 1990-2009;
Print ed.: 1991--present; Main N1 B51
Business source complete via
EBSCO - UCB Only
Includes full-text for more than 7,400 scholarly business journals and
- Coverage: 1965--.
ERIC - Educational Resources Information Center via CSA
- UCB Only | Educator's Reference Desk (public access)
The world's largest source of education information. The majority of titles indexed are available on campus in the ERIC
microfiche collection; some titles are also available in paper copy.
Online coverage: 1966--. Microfiche: in the Education/Psychology Library.
Full text archive of interdisciplinary scholarly journal literature, including the Journal of the Society of Architectural Historians, except for the most recent five years.
Periodicals index online -
Indexes the contents of thousands of periodicals in the humanities and social sciences, from their first issues. International scope. Titles indexed
include Landscape Architecture and Landscape History.
- Readers' guide to periodical literature.
[cumulated] NY [etc.]
Indexes popular American magazines.
Online ed.: Readers Guide Retrospective 1890-1982 -
- Print ed.: 1900--;
Doe Refe AJ3 R4; Moffitt AI3 R4 Index
Sociological abstracts via CSA -
Indexes journal articles, book chapters, & reviews from over 1,900
journals, books, book chapters, and reviews in the social sciences.
Online ed.: 1963--
Print ed.: 1952--; Main HM15.5 S6
Urban studies & planning - UCB Only
Provides indexing to and full text of 12 journals
published by SAGE Publications and participating societies, some journals going back 37 years.
- Coverage varies
Archival Collections & Primary Source Databases for additional archival sources. To locate materials in libraries and archives
not listed in the library catalogs, use
UC Only via OCLC/FirstSearch. Some of these
materials will be available via the
interlibrary borrowing service.
American Society of Landscape Architects records, 1937, 1970-1990. Finding aid. The collection offers information on the inner workings of a group of leading landscape architecture professionals, and how their work changed the San Francisco Bay Area and Northern California. Included are clippings, correspondence, drawings, photographs, project descriptions, exhibit material, and meeting minutes.
- EnvDesignArchive ARCH 2001-5
Architectural archives sites (Carnegie Mellon Univ.) Directory of links to architectural archives web sites in the United States.
Remember that architecture collections often include landscape
Archives of American gardens,
Smithsonian Institution, Washington, D.C. Contains thousands
of photographic images, searchable through the Smithsonian's
and manuscripts catalog. The major collections in the Archives
are: Garden Club of America Collection and others.
C19: the nineteenth century index - UCB Only
Some full text. Index of 64,891 19th century archival collections and many other sources.
- Coverage: Varies
Design Archives (UC Berkeley, College of Environmental Design) Includes archives of San Francisco Bay Area architects and landscape architects,
among others. Open by appointment only. Noncirculating collection.
Finding aids to the collections are available through
Berkeley Finding Aids from The Library's home page.
- Municipal archives: Municipal archives can be a fabulous source of primary research material.
Many cities, counties, etc., maintain archives of historical municipal records, ranging
from meeting and office records to maps, vital records, photographs, plans, parks and recreation planning, and much more. These archives are
managed in diverse ways: as a separate department, as a function within an individual department, as part of the
public library, etc.
archive of California. Brings together historical materials from a variety of
California institutions, including museums, historical societies, and archives. Includes
more than 120,000 images,
including many historical images of San Francisco Bay Area places in The Bancroft Library.
- Repository of primary resources. Lists over 5,000 web sites describing the holdings of archives and manuscript, rare books, historical photograph, and other primary source collections. International.
Here's a selection of UCB campus libraries with collections of interest to LA 171 students. Note that public libraries may also be helpful.