This is a guide to selected resources on building construction including basic research tools, handbooks, cost data, building systems, construction, technology, materials, historical sources, and strategies for finding materials at UC Berkeley and on the Internet. For additional assistance consult the Environmental Design Library reference staff.
Refer to Building Science Resources for design standards, CAD, building performance and evaluation.
UC Berkeley faculty, registered students, and staff who are off campus may use items marked
by connecting via the Library's Proxy Service or the Virtual Private Network (VPN).
Compiled by Susan Koskinen; content updated by Neda Salem, November 2013.
Dictionaries & Encyclopedias
Terminology, illustrations, definitions of building materials, names, dates, sites, methods.
Concise dictionary of construction.
Los Altos, CA: Crisp Publications, 1991.
EnvDesign TH9 .J65 1991
8th ed. Phoenix: Phoenix, Arizona Chapter, Natl Assoc. of Women in Construction,
EnvDesign TH9 .C58 1991 Reference
Construction dictionary illustrated /edited by James Acret et al. 3rd ed. Los Angeles, CA: BNi Building News, c2001.
EnvDesign TH9 C585 2001
- Dictionary of architectural and building technology / Henry J. Cowan and Peter R. Smith ; with contributions by W.K. Chow ... [et al.]. London ; New York : Spon Press, 2004.
EnvDesign NA31.C63 2004
- Dictionary of architecture and building construction / Nikolas Davies and Erkki Jokiniemi. Amsterdam ; Boston ; London : Elsevier/Architectural Press, 2008.
EnvDesign NA31.D38 2008 Reference Desk
- Dictionary of architecture & construction / edited by Cyril M. Harris. : Dictionary of architecture & construction / edited by Cyril M. Harris. New York : McGraw-Hill, 2006.
EnvDesign NA31.H32 2006 Reference Desk and electronic resource
- A dictionary of construction, surveying, and civil engineering / Christopher Gorse, David Johnston, Martin Pritchard. Oxford : Oxford University Press, 2012.
EnvDesign TH9.G677 2012 Reference
Encyclopaedia of architectural technology / Jacqueline Glass. Chichester: Wily-Academy, 2002.
EnvDesign NA31.G53 2002 Reference desk
Encyclopedia of architecture: design, engineering & construction / Joseph A. Wilkes, editor-in-chief, Robert T. Packard, assoc. ed. New York: Wiley, c1988-c1989.
EnvDesign NA31 .E59 1988 Reference v.1-5 (1988-c1990)
Encyclopedia of construction methods & materials / William P. Spence. New York : Sterling Pub., c2000. Arranged in CSI format, includes history, definitions, span charts, rating labels, detailed illustrations.
EnvDesign TH9 .S64 2000 Reference
Encyclopedia of engineering materials. NY: M. Decker, 1988-89.
Engi TA402 E525 1988 v.A:1
- The grammar of architecture/ Emily Cole, general editor. Boston: Bulfinch Press, 2002.
EnvDesign NA31.G72 2002 Reference
- Illustrated dictionary of building design + construction / Ernest Burden. New York : McGraw-Hill, 2005.
EnvDesign TH9.B87 2005
- Intelligent building dictionary : terminology for smart, integrated, green building design, construction, and management / Chuck Ehrlich, editor. San Francisco : Hands-on-Guide, 2007.
EnvDesign TH9.I48 2007 Reference
Means illustrated construction dictionary / edited by John Marchetti; managing ed. Mary Greene. 3rd ed. Kingston, MA: R.S. Means Co., c2000. See also the condensed version
- NRLF TH9.M4 2003
EnvDesign TH9 .M4 2000 Reference
Books & Articles
Use the following search terms in library catalogs & indexes to find book and articles.
Architectural drawing -- Computer-aided design
Building -- Details -- Drawings
Building -- Estimates
Building materials -- Costs
Building -- Planning
Buildings -- Performance
Computer Aided Design
Construction Industry – Costs
House Construction -- Costs
House Construction -- Materials
Materials --Thermal Properties
See Architecture Indexes for more indexes.
Art Full Text / Art Index Retrospective via WilsonWeb.
Citations to international publications, journals, yearbooks, museum bulletins, film reviews, bibliographies, conference reports, review articles, interviews and exhibition listings.
Paper ed: Main N18 .A72 1890-1995.
Art Full Text Online: 1984 to the present / Art Index Retrospective Online: 1929 to 1984
Avery Index to Architectural Periodicals via Proquest/CSA -
1860's to the present. Indexes 1,000+ journals in architecture, building science, construction, landscape architecture, urban design.
Online ed.: 1934 - present. Print.: 1890-1999;
NRLF C64 1973 Indexes.
- Civil Engineering Database (CEDB) is a free bibliographic database offering over 200,000 records of all publications by American Society of Civil Engineers.
- via Engineering Village 2. updated quarterly. The electronic version of Engineering Index. Citations and abstracts for journals, conference proceedings, and books includes construction and materials topics.
Online 1884 -- Paper ed.:ENG. current only, NRLF:1892-1992
- CumInCAD is a cumulative index of publications about computer aided architectural design. It includes bibliographic information about over 11,000 records from journals and conferences such as ACADIA, ASCAAD, CAADRIA, eCAADe, SiGraDi, CAAD futures, DDSS and others. All papers include full abstracts. Full texts, in PDF, of some 8,300 papers are also available. A separate index of some 1,700 papers in Spanish language are maintained. The keyword index shows search terms used and the number of articles related to each term.
- Earthquake Engineering Abstracts Provides comprehensive authoritative coverage of earthquake engineering and earthquake hazard mitigation; currently comprised of approximately 114,000 records (full citations and abstracts) from 1971 forward, plus several hundred earlier classic papers and reports.
- Environmental Sciences and Pollution Management Provides citations and abstracts to the literature of the environmental sciences. The citations describe journal articles, conference proceedings, technical reports, monographs, and selected books and patents.
Indexes journals, conference proceedings, books, reports, and dissertations.
Online: 1898 -- present.
Contains full text & abstracts of news, business,legal information to 6,000+ individual titles.
Online: recent 20 years.
- Material conneXion is a unique and comprehensive resource currently comprised of more than 4,500 materials and processes, and growing at a rate of more than 30 materials per month. The information, including high-quality photographs and company/vendor contact information, is also placed into our digital database that can be accessed online. This not only provides access for those without convenient access to a physical iteration of the Material Connexion library, but it also provides all users with the ability to search all of the materials by keyword, material type, manufacturer name, and manufacturer location.
NTRL (National Technical Reports Library). UCB only.
NTRL is the gateway to indexes, abstracts, and technical reports of the National Technical Information Service (NTIS). Especially good for construction
and related technical architectural information. Indexes and archives US government-sponsored research and worldwide scientific, technical, engineering,
and business-related information from 1964 to present,, with metadata records of pre-1964 information. Central source for the sale of unclassified and publicly available information from research reports,
journal articles, data files, computer programs and audio-visual products from Federal sources. Information from other international government departments
and organizations including those from Canada, Japan, the former Soviet Union, Western and Eastern European countries is also available. Some full text.
Web of Science - includes: Science Citation Index, 1900-present, Social Sciences Citation Index--1956-present, Arts & Humanities Citation Index (A&HCI)--1975-present
Builder / NAHB, National Association of Home Builders. Washington, D.C.: NAHB, c1981-
EnvDesign TH4805 .B8. Library has May 1978-Dec 1979; 1981 - 2004.
Builderonline.com 2006-present; Selected articles 2000 - 2006 from Lexis Nexis.
Building (London, England)
EnvDesign NA1.B8. Library has: 1981 - present.
NRLF 1966 - 1980. Library lacks many issues.
Building design & construction. Chicago, Cahners Publishing Co.
EnvDesign TH1 .B6 11. Library has 1980-2004 NRLF 1970 - 1979. Selected articles in Lexis-Nexis 2000 – 2010. Selected articles in Business Source Complete from July 1999 – present.
BRE - Good Building Guide Garston, Watford [England] : Building Research Establishment, 1990. Indexed in Architectural Publications.
EnvDesign TH1.B744 Library has: April 1990 - current. Library lacks many issues.
BRE - Good Repair Guide. London : Construction Research Communications, Ltd. and the Building Research Establishment, c1996. Indexed in Architectural Publications.
EnvDesign TH1.B745 Library has: Library has Sept. 96 – Apr. 97, June 97 – Nov. 02, May 2009-present.
Buildings. Cedar Rapids, Iowa, Stamats Publishing Co. 1908-. *Focuses on design and construction of university and corporate buildings. Includes articles on green design, smart buildings, HVAC, security, and materials. Electronic location: Selected article text for Selected article text for 1996 -
MasterFILE Premier; Business Source Complete.
1966-1970, NRLF Selected volumes July 1958 – Dec 1960; 1982 – 1991; 1999 – 2003
Built environment. [London] Kogan Page
EnvDesign NA9000.B7772 1978--
Construction history : Journal of the Construction History Group. Ascot, Berkshire : Chartered Institute of Building, 1985. Library has: 1(1985)-
EnvDesign TA15. C6 Shelved: Recent issues on current periodical shelves; bound vols in periodical stacks
Construction Technology Updates, National Research Council of Canada, Institute for Construction Research.
Engineering, construction and architectural management. Oxford : Blackwell Science, 1994 - Online v. 5, 1999--
NRLF HD9715.A1 E54 1994-2007
ENR - Engineering News Record. New York, N.Y.: McGraw-Hill, c1987- Online: http://enr.construction.com.
Engineering TA1.E61 Library has:(1987)-
. NRLF 1917-1986. Selected article text for 1981-1986 Lexis-Nexis.
Journal of architectural engineering. New York, N.Y.: ASCE, Architectural Engineering Division, 1995. Online ed: Vol. 1 (1995)-
NRLF TH1.J65. 1995-2010
Journal of performance of constructed facilities. New York, N.Y. : ASCA, 1987. Library has: 1(Feb. 1987)- Online access: UCB: Materials included: v.1(1987)-. Location: http://ascelibrary.org/journal/jpcfev
Wood Design & Building. Ottawa, ON : Canadian Wood Council], 1997.
EnvDesign TA666.W66. Library has 1(summer 1997) -
. Also online.
Handbooks & Manuals
For measured details, building methods, structural systems, illustrations, dimensions, design configurations and recommended performance specifications.
Architectural graphic standards for residential construction / The American Institute of Architects; Dennis Hall, editor-in-chief; Nina M. Giglio, senior executive editor; the Magnum Group, illustrator, 2nd ed. Hoboken, N.J.: Wiley, c2010.
EnvDesign TH2031 .A84254 2010 Permanent Reserve
Builder's instant answers / Sidney Levy, R. Dodge Woodson. New York : McGraw-Hill, c2004. Instant answer series. Entries include short facts, illustrations, charts and tables.
EnvDesign TH151.L4797 2004 Reference
Building construction handbook / R. Chudley & R. Greeno. 8th ed. Oxford; Boston: Butterworth-Heinemann, 2010.
EnvDesign TH151 .C52 2010 Reference
Building design and construction handbook / Frederick S. Merritt, editor, Jonathan T. Ricketts, editor.
6th ed. New York : McGraw-Hill, c2001.
EnvDesign TH151 .B825 2001 Reference
Concrete and masonry databook
/ Christine Beall, Rochelle Jaffe. New York: McGraw-Hill, c2003.
Coverage includes basic properties of concrete and masonry, construction techniques, footings, foundations, basements and slabs, masonry veneer, paving, garden walls, and more.
EnvDesign TH1461 .B42 2003 Reference
- Constructing architecture : materials, processes, structures : a handbook / Andrea Deplazes (ed.) ; [translation into English, Gerd H. Söffker ; Philip Thrift]. Basel, Switzerland ; Boston, Mass : Birkhäuser, 2008.
EnvDesign TH153.C66 2008
- Construction delays : understanding them clearly, analyzing them correctly [electronic resource] / Theodore J. Trauner, Jr. . . . [et al.]. : Amsterdam ; Boston : Butterworth-Heinemann, 2009.
Print copy in ENGI TH438.T727 2009
- Construction innovation and process improvement [electronic resource] / Akintola Akintoye, Jack Goulding and Girma Zawdie. Chichester, West Sussex ; Ames, Iowa : Wiley-Blackwell, 2012.
- Construction professional reference / Paul Rosenberg. Pottstown, PA : Pal Publications, 2005.
EnvDesign TH151.R67 2005
Fundamentals of building construction: materials and methods / Edward Allen; drawings by Joseph Iano. 5th ed. New York: Wiley, 2009. This is a classic. Overview of construction systems, foundation to roof, exterior cladding to interior finishes. Every common system of construction is covered, including wood light frame construction, heavy timber, masonry, steel, sitecast concrete, and precast concrete, light gauge steel frame construction, selecting windows and doors.
EnvDesign TH145 .A417 2009 Reserve
- Graphic standards field guide to residential construction / Dennis Hall, Nina Giglio. Hoboken, New Jersey : John Wiley & Sons, Inc., 2011.
EnvDesign TH2013.H33 2011
Interior graphic standards / Corky Binggeli, editor-in-chief ; Patricia Greichen, graphics editor; The Magnum Group, illustrator, 2nd ed. Hoboken, New Jersey : John Wiley & Sons, c2011.
EnvDesign TH2031.M34 2011 Reference,
Student ed. EnvDesign TH2031.M34 2012
- Materials, structures, and standards : all the details architects need to know but can never find / Julia McMorrough. Gloucester, Mass. : Rockport Publishers, 2006.
EnvDesign NA2540.M43 2006
Time-saver standards for building materials & systems: design criteria and selection data / Donald Watson, editor. New York ; London: McGraw-Hill, 2000. Guide to the design & specification of building materials and systems. Includes data sheets with tables and checklists.
EnvDesign TA403.4 .T54 2000
Time-saver standards for building types / Joseph De Chiara, editor, Michael J. Crosbie, ed. 4th ed. New York : McGraw-Hill, c2001. Covers residences, museums, libraries, and theaters, hospitals and nursing homes, churches, air and truck terminals, retail shops, restaurants, hotels, industrial parks, playgrounds, and arenas. Includes plans, diagrams, tables, and schematics, sections on housing for the elderly and the handicapped, including access for the handicapped to public and government buildings.
EnvDesign NA2760 .D42 2001 Copy 1 Reserve; copy 2 Reference
Details for building and construction
1001 traditional construction details / Stephen A. Mouzon, with David L. Mouzon. New York : McGraw-Hill, c2001. Standard scale detail reproductions from "Architectural elements: Traditional Construction Details", Mcgraw-Hill
EnvDesign TH151 .M68 2000
Architect's handbook of construction detailing / David Kent Ballast 2nd ed. Washington, D.C: BNI Publications, c2009.
EnvDesign TH2031 .B35 2009 Reference
Architectural elements interior construction details / Andy Shelander and Karm M. Wahab. United States: McGraw-Hill, c2001
EnvDesign NA2840 .S54 2001 compu/d CD-ROM Permanent Reserve
Architectural elements residential construction details / Andy Shelander, Karm M. Wahab. [New York]: McGraw-Hill, c2000. 1 computer optical disc : col. ; 4 3/4 in. + 1 user's guide (18 p. ; 12 cm.)
EnvDesign TH2031 .S53 2000 compu/d CD-ROM - Permanent Reserve
Architectural drawing and light construction / Edward J. Muller, James G. Fausett, Philip A. Grau, III. 8th ed. Upper Saddle River, NJ: Prentice Hall, c2009.
EnvDesign NA2700.M8 2009
Architectural formulas pocket reference / Robert Brown Butler. London: McGraw-Hill, 2002.
EnvDesign NA2750 . B62 2002
- Architectural technology / Stephen Emmitt. Ames, IA: Wiley-Blackwell 2012.
Env Design NA2543.T43 E46 2012
Building construction illustrated / Francis D.K. Ching and Cassandra Adams. 4th ed. New York : John Wiley, c2008.
EnvDesign TH146 .C52 2008, 1 copy on Permanent reserve
Construction graphics : a practical guide to interpreting working drawings / Keith A. Bisharat. Hoboken, N.J.: John Wiley & Sons, c2004. Includes drawings, case studies, exercises, clear explanation of drawings to construction.
EnvDesign TH431.B574 2004 Reference
Design of reinforced masonry structures /Narendra Taly. New York; London : McGraw-Hill, 2010.
EnvDesign TA683.T25 2010
- Detail in contemporary concrete architecture / David Phillips and Megumi Yamashita. London : Laurence King Pub., 2012.
EnvDesign NA4125.P55 2012
- Detail in contemporary glass architecture / Virginia McLeod. London : Laurence King Publishing, 2011.
EnvDesign NA4140.M25 2011, book + CD ROM
- Detail in contemporary residential architecture / Virginia McLeod. London : Laurence King Publishing, 2007.
EnvDesign NA2840.M374 2007 book + CD ROM
- Detail in contemporary timber architecture / Virginia McLeod. London : Laurence King Publishing, 2010.
EnvDesign NA4110.M35 2010 Book + CD ROM
Interior construction & detailing for designers and architects / David Kent Ballast. 5th ed. Belmont, CA: Professional Publications, c2011.
EnvDesign TH2025.B35 2011
- Interior detailing: concept to construction / David Kent Ballast. Hoboken, NJ: John Wiley & Sons, 2010.
- Interiors construction manual: integrated planning, finishings and fitting-out, technical services / Gerhard Hausladen. Basel: Birkhäuser, 2010.
Env Design 2850.H38 2010
Masonry design and detailing: for architects and contractors/ Christine Beall. 5th ed. New York : McGraw-Hill, 2004. Includes IBC references, details, moisture penetration, window flashing, masonry history and manufacturing.
EnvDesign TA670 .B43 2004 Reference
Simplified engineering for architects and builders / James Ambrose and Patrick Tripeny. ; based on the work of Harry Parker. 11th ed. New York: Wiley, c2011
EnvDesign TA633 A43 2011 Reference
Traditional construction patterns / Stephen A. Mouzon with Susan M. Henderson; foreword by Andres M. Duany. New York : McGraw-Hill, c2004.
EnvDsgn TH155.M68 2004
Timber Construction manual / Thomas Herzog ... [et al.]. Basel: Birkhauser, 2004. Includes details for building types, spans, structures, facades with measured drawings.
EnvDesign TA666.H47 2004 Reference
Use for bidding, estimates, construction, materials, square foot, and project costs.
Assemblies cost data / RS Means. Kingston, MA : R.S. Means Co., c1996. R.S. Means Company. see also Means assemblies cost data.
EnvDesign TH435.B86 Shelved: Latest volume Ref; earlier vols. Noncirculating .Library has: 2009- . Earlier vols. 1997-2008 are at NRLF.
Bidding and estimating procedures for construction / Hal Johnston, G.L.Mansfield. 2nd ed. Upper Saddle River, N.J.: Prentice Hall, c2001.
EnvDesign TH425 .J64 2001
Building construction cost data (Kingston, Mass.: 1996) / RS Means. Kingston, MA : R.S. Means Co., c1996. Issued in 4 other versions: Building construction cost data (Western ed.: 1996) (Open shop ed.) (Metric ed.) and (Loose-leaf ed.) Continues: Means building construction cost data. Library has: 2009(67)-2013(71)
EnvDesign TH435.M4 Latest ed ref; previous edition noncirc stacks; earlier editions in Engineering Library and NRLF.
Assemblies cost data / RS Means. Kingston, MA : R.S. Means Co., c1996. R.S. Means Company. see also Means assemblies cost data. Library has: 2009(34), 2013(38)-
EnvDesign TH435.B86 Shelved: Latest ed ref; previous edition noncirc stacks; earlier editions NRLF.
- Construction estimating : a step-by-step guide to a successful estimate / Karl F. Schmid.
EnvDesign TH435.S496 2012
- Construction estimating complete handbook : Excel estimating included / Adam Ding.
EnvDesign TH435.D56 2010
- Estimating building costs for the residential & light commercial construction professional / Wayne J. DelPico.
EnvDesign TH435.D355 2012
Estimating construction costs / Robert L. Peurifoy, Garold D. Oberlender. 5th ed. Boston: McGraw-Hill, c2002.
EnvDesign TH435 .P47 2002 [book + CD-ROM], 6th ed. in Engi.
- Life-cost approach to building evaluation / Craig A. Langston.
Engineering TH435.L285 2005
Means facilities construction cost data/ Melville J. Mossman. 28th annual ed. Kingston, MA:R.S. Means, 2013.
EnvDesign TH435 .M425 2013
- RSMeans estimating handbook
EnvDesign TH435.M42 2009 and electronic resource
- Spon’s estimating cost guide to minor works, alterations and repairs to fire, flood, gale and theft damage : [unit rates and project costs] / Bryan Spain.
EnvDesign TH435.S72537 2009
Spon's Asia Pacific construction costs handbook / edited by Davis Langdon &Seah International. 3rd ed. London; New York: E & FN Spon, 2000.
EnvDesign TH435 .S7252 2000
Square foot & assemblies estimating methods / RS Means. 3rd ed. Kingston, MA : R.S. Means, c2001.
EnvDesign TH435 .S735 2001
Unit price estimating methods / [editors, John Chiang, Phillip Waier, Mary Greene and Andrea Keenan]. 4th ed. Kingston, MA : R.S. Means Co., c2007
EnvDesign TH435.U58 2007 Reference and ebook
- Whole life appraisal for construction / Roger Flanagan, Carol Jewell ; with George Norman.
EnvDesign TH435.F62 2005
- Whole life costing : a new approach / Peter Caplehorn
EnvDesign TH435.C355 2012
Construction Methods & Systems
Advanced technologies: building in the computer age / Valerio Travi. Basel ; Boston : Birkhauser, c2001. Series title: The IT revolution in architecture.
EnvDesign TH6012 .T731 2001
- Advanced timber framing : Joinery, design & construction oftimber frame roof systems / Steve K. Chappell. Brownfield, ME : Fox Maple Press , 2012.
EnvDesign TH1101 C32 2012
Alternative construction: contemporary natural building methods / edited by Lynne Elizabeth and Cassandra Adams. Hoboken, N.J. : John Wiley, 2005
EnvDesign TH146 .A48 2005
Blueprint reading for construction / James A.S. Fatzinger. 2nd ed. Upper Saddle River, N.J. : Pearson Prentice Hall, c2004. Includes reference tables, exercises, contract documents, case studies with specifications.
EnvDesign TH431.F38 2004
- Build-on : converted architecture and transformed buildings /edited by Robert Klanten and Lukas Feireiss. Berlin : Gestalten, 2009. EnvDesign TH3401 .B85 2009
Builder's essentials. Framing & rough carpentry : the illustrated guide for apprentices & carpenters / Scot Simpson. 2nd ed. Kingston, Mass.: R.S. Means Co., c2001.
EnvDesign TH1101.S5623 2001
- Building construction : principles, materials, and systems / Madan Mehta, Walter Scarborough, Diane Armpriest. 2nd ed. Boston : Pearson, c2013.
EnvDesign TH146 .M4288 2013
Carpentry & building construction / Mark D. Feirer, John L.Feirer. 6th ed. New York, N.Y. : McGraw-Hill, Glencoe, c2004.
EnvDesign TH5606.F4 2004 Reference
- Carpenter's and builder's tools, steel square& joinery / Mark Richard Miller, Rex Miller. Indianapolis : Wiley, 2005.
EnvDesign TH5608.M55 2005
- Complete book of framing : an illustrated guide for residential construction / Scot Simpson.2nd ed.Hoboken, N.J. : RSMeans/John Wiley & Sons,2012.
EnvDesign TH2301 .S483 2012 and ebook
Concrete construction manual / [Friedbert] Kind-Barkauskas et al. Basel; Boston: Birkhauser; Munich: Edition Detail, 2002.
EnvDesign TH1461 .C6 2002
Construction building envelope and interior finishes databook / Sidney M. Levy. New York: McGraw-Hill, c2001.
EnvDesign TH2235.L48 2001 Reference
The construction industry: processes, players, and practices / Ralph Liebing. Upper Saddle River, N.J.: Prentice Hall, 2001.
EnvDesign TH146 .L54 2001
Construction methods and management / S.W. Nunnally. 6th ed. Upper Saddle River, N.J.: Prentice Hall, c2011.
Engineering TH145.N86 2011
Construction methods and planning / J.R. Illingworth. 2nd ed. London; New York : E & FN Spon, 2000.
EnvDesign TH153 .I43 2000
- Construction of architecture: from design to built / Ralph W. Liebing. Hoboken, N.J. : John Wiley, 2008.
EnvDesign TH146. L54 2008
- Construction planning, equipment, and methods / Robert L. Peurifoy, [et al.]. 8th ed. New York : McGraw-Hill, 2011.
Engi T145.P45 2011
Construction site work, site utilities, and substructures databook / Sidney M. Levy. New York: McGraw-Hill, c2001.
EnvDesign TH375.L48 2001 Reference
Construction waterproofing handbook / Michael T. Kubal. New York: McGraw-Hill, c2000.
EnvDesign TH9031 .K78 2000
- Demolition : practices, technology, and management / by RichardJ. Diven and Mark Shaurette. West Lafayette, Ind. : Purdue University Press, c2010.
Engi TH447.D58 2010
- DeWalt construction residential and light commercial : professional reference / William Spence. Clifton Park, NY : Delmar Cengage Learning, 2010.
EnvDesign TH4813.D492 2010
Domestic plumbing design / Jack L. Burton. Upper Saddle River, NJ : Prentice Hall, 2000. Building systems design; v. 3.
EnvDesign TH6123.B87 2000 Library has: [book + computer disk]. compu/d on reserve
- Earthquake resistant buildings [electronic resource] : dynamic analyses, numerical computations, codified methods, case studies and examples / M.Y.H. Bangash. Berlin ; New York : Springer, c2011. SpringerLink. Restricted to UC campuses
- Earthquake-resistant structures : design, build and retrofit / Amsterdam : Elsevier/Butterworth-Heinemann, 2013
Engi TA658.44 .K53 2013
Elementary structures for architects and builders / R. E. Shaeffer. 4th ed. Upper Saddle River, N.J. : Prentice Hall, c2002.
EnvDesign TA645 .S479 2002
- Fundamental building technology / Andrew J. Charlett and Craig Maybery-Thomas. 2nd ed. New York, NY : Routledge, 2013. EnvDesign TH146 .C514 2013
- Fundamentals of building construction : materials and methods /Edward Allen and Joseph Iano. 5th ed. Hoboken, N.J. : Wiley, c2009. EnvDesign TH145 .A417 2009
- Improving the earthquake resilience of buildings [electronicresource] : the worst case approach / Izuru Takewaki, AbbasMoustafa, Kohei Fujita. London ; New York : Springer, c2013.
- Introduction to Building / Derek Osbourn, Dip Arch [Hons], RIBA,MSIAD, Roger Greeno, BA [Hons], FCIOB, FCIPHE, FRSA.Fifth edition. Harlow : Pearson Education Limited, 2013.
EnvDesign TH145 .O726 2013
Mechanical and electrical equipment
for buildings / Walter T. Grondzik ... [et al.].Hoboken, N.J. : Wiley, 2010.
EnvDesign TH6010. S74 2010 Permanent Reserve.
- National earthquake resilience [electronic resource] : research,implementation, and outreach / National Research Council of theNational Academies. Washington, D.C. : National Academies Press, 2011.
- Olin’s construction: principles, materials, and methods / H. Leslie Simmons. Hoboken, NJ : Wiley, 2011.
EnvDesign Ref Desk TH145.S513 2011
- Print and specifications reading for construction / Ron Russell. Hoboken, N.J. : John Wiley, 2012.
EnvDesign TH431 .R87 2012
Reading architectural plans: for residential and commercial construction / Ernest R. Weidhaas. 5th ed. Upper Saddle River, NJ: Prentice Hall, c2002.
EnvDesign NA7115 .W44 2002
Residential & light commercial construction standards : the all-in-one, authoritative reference compiled from: major building codes, recognized trade custom, industry standards. 3rd ed., updated. Kingston, MA: R.S. Means Co., c2008.
EnvDesign TH4815.5 .R47 2008 Reference
- Simplified engineering for architects and builders / James Ambrose and Patrick Tripeny.11th ed. Hoboken, N.J. : Wiley, c2011. EnvDesign TA633 .A43 2011
Standard handbook of architectural engineering : a practical manual for architects, engineers, contractors & related professions & occupations / Robert Brown Butler. New York : McGraw-Hill, c1998.
EnvDesign TH19 .S73 1998 Book + Computer Disk
- Sustainable retrofit and facilities management / Paul Appleby. Abingdon, Oxon ; New York, NY : Earthscan from Routledge, 2013. EnvDesign TH3401 .A67 2013
- Taunton's carpentry complete : expert advice from start to finish/ [text by Andy Engel]. Newtown, CT : Taunton Press, 2011.
EnvDesign TH5606 .E28 2011
- Theory of structures [electronic resource] : fundamentals, framed structures, plates and shells / Peter Marti.Berlin : Wiley, 2013. Restricted to UC campuses
Materials: types and uses
- American Hardwood Information Center The American Hardwood Information Center is a service of the Hardwood Manufacturers Association (HMA) a non-profit national trade association.
- Basic construction materials / Theodore W. Marotta. 6th ed. Upper Saddle River, NJ: Prentice Hall, 2002.
EnvDesign TA403 M295 2002
Building materials; essential data from the Building Research Establishment. Boston, Cahners Books
EnvDesign TA403.4.B841 1974
- Building with secondhand stuff : how to re-claim, re-vamp, re-purpose & re-use salvaged & leftover building materials / Chris Peterson. Minneapolis, MN. : Creative Pub. International, 2011
EnvDesign TA403.6 . P465 2011
Design of wood structures--ASD/LRFD / Donald E. Breyer ... [et al.]. 6th ed.New York: McGraw Hill, 2007
EnvDesign TA666.B743 2007
- The ecology of building materials / Bjørn Berge ; translated by Chris Butters and Filip Henley. Amsterdam ; Oxford : Elsevier/Architectural Press, 2009.
EnvDesign TA403.6 .B456613 2009 and electronic resource
- The interior design sourcebook / Thomas L. Williams. New York : Allworth Press, 2012.
EnvDesign TA403.6 .W55 2012
- Material design : informing architecture by materiality / Thomas Schropfer ; with a foreword by Erwin Viray ; and contributions by James Carpenter ... [et al.]. Basel : Birkhäuser, 2011.
EnvDesign TA403.6 .S37 2010
- Material matters: new materials in design / Philip Howes and Zoe Laughlin.London : Black Dog Pub., 2012.
EnvDesign TA403.6 .H69 2012
- Material precedent : the typology of modern tectonics / Gail Peter Borden. Hoboken, N.J. : John Wiley & Sons, c2010.
EnvDesign TA403.6 .B67 2010
- Material strategies : innovative applications in architecture / Blaine Brownell. New York : Princeton Architectural Press, 2012. EnvDesign TA403.6 .B76 2012
- Material World 3 : innovative materials for architecture and design / directed by matériO ; [author, Elodie Ternaux]. Amsterdam : Frame Publishers ; Minneapolis, MN : Consortium Book Sales & Distribution, 2011.
EnvDesign TA403.6 .T475 2011
- Materiality and interior construction / Nancy Gesimondo and Jim Postell. Hoboken, N.J. : John Wiley, c2011.
EnvDesign TA403.6 .G47 2011
- Materials for architects and builders / Arthur Lyons .4th ed. Amsterdam ; London : Butterworth-Heinemann, 2010.. Lists the manufacturer and properties of building materials. Includes wind catchers, solar collectors, photovoltaics. Each chapter includes a bibliography.
EnvDesign TA403.L96 2010 reference
- Materials : innovation & design / [author, Dimitris Kottas ; editorial coordination, Jacobo Krauel ; text, contributed by the companies, edited by Jay Noden]. Barcelona, Spain : Links, [2011?]
EnvDesign TA403.6 .K68 2011
- Materials matter III / design, Matthew McNerney. New York : Material ConneXion, 2009.
EnvDesign TA403.6 .M38 2009
- Thermally active surfaces in architecture / Kiel Moe. New York : Princeton Architectural Press, c2010.
EnvDesign TA418.52 .M64 2010
- Transmaterial 3 : a catalog of materials that redefine our physical environment / edited by Blaine Brownell. New York, N.Y. : Princeton Architectural Press, 2010.
EnvDesign TA403.6 .T152 2010 and electronic resource
The visual handbook of building and remodeling: : a comprehensive guide to choosing the right materials and systems for every part of your home / Charlie Wing. 3rd ed. Newtown, Conn. : Taunton Press, 2009
EnvDesign TH4813 W56 2009
- Aluminium architecture : 33 projets = projects / textes par Dominique Boudet. Paris : Groupe moniteur, 2007. Texts in French and English
EnvDesign NA4138.A48 2007
- Architectural stone: fabrication, installation, and selection / Mark Chacon. New York: Wiley, c1999.
EnvDesign TA426 .C45 1999
- Foundation and anchor design guide for metal building systems / Alexander Newman. New York : McGraw-Hill, c2013.
EnvDesign TA684 .N434 2013
The role of steel in environmentally responsible buildings / Mark Gorgolewski. Ascot: Steel Construction Institute, c1999. Series title:SCI publication ; 174.
EnvDesign TH6021 .G67 1999
Use of steel in house building / Esko Miettinen, Risto Saarni; [translated by Tiina Hijanen]. Helsinki, Finland : Finnish Constructional Steelwork Assoc. Ltd. :Rakennustieto Oy, c2000. Includes history, case studies of well known houses: Rietveld, Neutra, van der Rohe, Johnson, Eames, Ellwood, Prouve, Haller, Gehry and Murcutt. Shows details of structures, assemblies, and the history of housing production.
EnvDesign TA684.M542 2000
Performance & Evaluation
- The collaborators : interactions in the architectural design process / Gilbert Herbert and Mark Donchin. Farnham, Surrey : Ashgate Publishing Company, 2013.
EnvDesign NA2750 .C653
- How buildings learn : what happens after they're built / Stewart Brand. New York, NY : Viking, c1994.
EnvDesign NA2542.4.B73 1994
- Lessons from vernacular architecture / edited by Willi Weber and Simos Yannas. Abingdon, Oxon ; New York : Earthscan, from Routledge, 2014.
EnvDesign NA2542 .36 .L47
- Lifetime homes design guide / Chris Goodman. Bracknell : BRE, 2011.
EnvDesign TH4815 .5 .G66
- Outside the box: [affordable energy efficient construction technique] / by Bill Hanlon. Reading, Kansas. : BPH Productions, 2005. EnvDesign TH4815 .H26 2005
Residential & light commercial construction standards : the all-in-one, authoritative reference compiled from: major building codes, recognized trade custom, industry standards. 3rd ed., updated. Kingston, MA: R.S. Means, c2008.
EnvDesign TH4815.5 .R47 2008 Reference
User-responsive design : reducing the risk of failure / C. Thomas Mitchell. 1st ed. New York : Norton, c2002.
EnvDesign NA2750 .M564 2002
Arcat: a directory of building product manufacturers and associations: a collection of catalog information pages from manufacturers. Fairfield, CT : The Architect's Catalog, Inc. Organized by CSI classification. Paper ed:
EnvDesign HD9715.8 A73 latest ed. Ref // Online ed: http://arcat.com/
- Green building materials : a guide to product selection and specification / Ross Spiegel, Dru Meadows. Hoboken, N.J. : Wiley, 2012.
EnvDesign TH455 .S65 2012 Reference
Reed Construction Data - free access to a library of commercial building product information, including manufacturers' addresses, telephone numbers, trade names, and regional distributors. Reed Construction Data Online expands the information available in the First Source directory published annually. Includes links to online building codes.
Sweets catalog file. NY: McGraw-Hill. Annual. Compilation of manufacturers' catalogs of buildings materials. Good for Product information – dimensions, details, energy specs etc.
EnvDesign TH455.S7864 Reference. Current only
Thomas Register of American manufacturers. New York, Thomas Pub. Co. Comprehensive resource for companies and products manufactured in North America.
Library has: BOUND 1905/06, 2000(90)-2005 (95) and http://www.thomasnet.com/
Projects, Associations, Centers & Libraries
Advanced Buildings Technologies & Practices sponsored by a consortium of Canadian agencies. A building professional's guide to environmentally-appropriate technologies and practices. The following design and construction issues are covered: indoor air quality, water conservation, waste management, electricity production, non-toxic materials, recycled materials, daylighting. Includes case studies.
American Institute of Architects Center for Building Science and Performance (CBSP) - The Building Performance (BP) PIA promotes the use of high performance design criteria, codes, and standards for architecture.
American Wood Council -Free Download Library. Includes wood construction standards, wood frame design manuals.
BRE - Building Research Establishment.The UK's centre on buildings, construction, energy, environment, fire & risk.
CABE - Commission for Architecture and the Built Environment. A British public commission site with goals to involve the public in shaping their own environments and to improve the ability of decision makers and professional groups to respond to growing public aspirations for a better built environment. Site includes many free online publications (pdf) - such as: Creating Excellent Buildings, Better Public Libraries, Designing 21st Century Libraries, Housing Futures etc.
California Construction Data - California Department of Finance, Financial & Economic Data.
Carnegie Mellon Center for Buildings Performance and Diagnostics
Center for the Built Environment - UC Berkeley
Engineering Library. UC Berkeley. Has links to many research guides and online resources.
HUD USER a gateway to current research and analytic tools by HUD’s Office of Policy Development & Research (PD &R). Use to access research reports about housing and community & economic development, data sets that can be used for original research, HUD income limits and fair market rents, and more. HUD USER includes, practical information on new building materials and technologies, emerging trends in urban planning and demographics, alleviating housing discrimination and homelessness, and strategies for making housing more affordable, durable, accessible.
Society of Building Science Educators - The Society of Building Science Educators (SBSE) is an association of university educators and practitioners in architecture and related disciplines who support excellence in the teaching of environmental science and building technologies.
Society of Environmental Toxicology and Chemistry (SETAC) Includes a link to Professional Interest Group - Life-Cycle Assessment. The mission of the SETAC LCA Advisory Group is to advance the science, practice, and application of LCAs to reduce the resource consumption and environmental burdens associated with products, packaging, processes, or activities. See website for publications, conferences, data collection.
Urban Land Institute Development Case Studies UCB Only (Formerly Project Reference Files.) Case studies with detailed information, including costs, designers, statistics, plans, etc. Ask at Environmental Design Library for logon and password. Limit search to type of project, location, and use keywords preservation or adaptive use. Extremely important to logout after each use.
- Vital Signs Project, College of Environmental Design, UC Berkeley, The project encourages architecture students to examine architectural lighting, and mechanical systems in existing buildings with attention to energy use, occupant well-being, and architectural spacemaking.
Building Codes & Regulatory Resources use for locating codes, especially for California and the San Francisco Bay Area, in the UC Berkeley libraries and on the internet
Climatic Design Resources
Daylighting for Architecture - This is a guide to resources on daylighting or natural lighting, site planning, performance measurement, technology, materials etc.
Green Design Resources
Landscape Architecture Construction