Heating, Ventilation & Air Conditioning (HVAC) Research
Heating, Ventilation, and Air Conditioning in buildings represent substantial energy demands, and insufficient ventilation may
result in poor indoor air quality and health problems. Designing for optimum ventilation performance is a vital part of building design. Use this list of selected titles to begin your research; use the search terms to find more books and articles at UC Berkeley and beyond.
For general information, please see Building Science Resources, a guide to the literature of building systems, performance measurement, technology, materials, etc.
Compiled by Susan Koskinen. Content reviewed:
Dictionaries, encyclopedias and handbooks for terminology, illustrations, and definitions.
ASHRAE GreenGuide : an ASHRAE publication addressing matters of interest to those involved in
green or sustainable design of buildings / David
L. Gruman, editor. Atlanta, GA : American Society of Heating, Refrigerating
and Air-Conditioning Engineers, Inc., c2003. A reference guide that includes
how to incorporate green or sustainable engineering into HVAC systems.
Includes background, design in the early stages, architectural impact,
thermal comfort delivery systems. Meant as a reference guide only.
- EnvDesign TH880.A84 2003 Reference
ASHRAE handbook : heating, ventilating, and air-conditioning
applications / American Society of Heating, Refrigerating and Air-Conditioning
Engineers Inc. Inch-Pound ed. Atlanta, Ga. : ASHRAE, c2003. Includes building
type applications, energy related applications such as solar and thermal
energy, building operations, seismic and wind design restraints.
- EnvDesign TP490.A2223 2003 Reference
Code check HVAC : a field
guide to heating and cooling / Michael Casey, Redwood Kardon, and Douglas
Hansen ;... 2nd ed. [Newtown, CT] : Taunton Press, c2005. A quick
reference to the most up-to-date international mechanical codes, provides
comprehensive information on essential heating, ventilation, and air conditioning
codes and outlines the principles behind them. Updated to the current Uniform
Mechanical Code and International Residential Code, Code Check HVAC was
compiled by certified inspectors.
EnvDesign KF5708.C27 2005 Reference
Handbook of air conditioning and refrigeration / Shan
K. Wang. 2nd ed. New York : McGraw-Hill, c2001.
- Engin TH7687 .W27 2001
Handbook of heating, ventilation, and air conditioning
/ edited by Jan F. Kreider. Boca Raton, Fla: CRC Press, c2001.
- EnvDesign TH7225 .H36 2001 Reference
HVAC: equations, data, and rules of thumb / Arthur
A. Bell, Jr. New York: McGraw-Hill, c2000.
- Engin TH7225 .B45 2000 Reference
HVAC/R terminology: a quick reference guide / Richard
Wirtz. Upper Saddle River, N.J: Prentice Hall, c1998. Incorporates all
the Heating Ventilation, Air-conditionging VAC/R technical terms for electricity,
controls, refrigeration cycle, heating, psychometrics, boilers, heat pumps,
heat transfer, load calculations and more.
- EnvDesign TH7007 .W57 1998 Reference
HVAC systems and components handbook /edited Nils
R.Grimm, Robert C. Rosaler. 2nd ed. New York: McGraw-Hill, c1998.
- EnvDesign TH7011 .H83 1998 Reference
Indoor air quality handbook / John D. Spengler, Jonathan
M. Samet, John F.McCarthy, editor. New York: McGraw-Hill, c2001. Includes
the history and future of ventilation, sick building syndrome, building
systems, human responses, pollutants, assessment and ventilation requirements
of special building types.
- EnvDesign RA770.I42 2001 Reference
Books and Articles
Use these subject headings and keywords in catalogs Melvyl
and OskiCat and in the article indexes.
--Control Handbooks, manuals, etc.
--Equipment and supplies
--Design and construction.
--Handbooks, manuals, etc.
Architecture and energy conservation
Cooling Handbooks, manuals, etc.
Dwellings--Heating and ventilation
Heat Radiation and absorption
Heating--Design and construction.
--Handbooks, manuals, etc.
Historic buildings Heating and ventilation
Indoor air pollution
Photovoltaic power generation
Solar Energy--Passive Systems
Ventilation Equipment and supplies
--Design and construction.
--Handbooks, manuals, etc.
- Air-conditioning America: engineers and the controlled environment, 1900-1960 / Gail Cooper. Baltimore : Johns Hopkins University Press, c1998.
- EnvDesign, Engin, Main TH7687.5 .C66 1998
- Cool comfort : America's romance with air-conditioning / Marsha E. Ackermann. Washington [D.C.] : Smithsonian Institution Press, c2002.
- EnvDesign TH7687 .A25 2002
- Evaporative air-conditioning : applications for environmentally friendly cooling / Gert Jan Bom ... [et al.]. Washington, D.C. : World Bank, c1999.
- Main TH7687 .E94 1999
- Fine tuning air conditioning and refrigeration systems / Billy C. Langley. Lilbrun, GA :Fairmont Press, c2002.
- EnvDesign TH7687.7 .L372 2002
- VAV air conditioning systems / Keith Shepherd. Oxford ; Malden, MA : Blackwell Science, 1999.
- Engin TH7687.95 .S53 1999
- Cutting the cost of cold : affordable warmth for healthier homes / edited by Janet Rudge & Fergus Nicol. London; New York : E & FN Spon, c2000.
- EnvDesign RA616 .C88 2000
- Energy and environment in architecture : a technical design guide / Nick Baker and Koen Steemers. London ; New York : E & FN Spon, 2000.
- EnvDesign NA2542.3 .B34 2000
- Energy conservation for housing : a workbook / prepared by Sandra Nolden, Deborah Morse, Scott Hebert, Abt Associates Inc.; prepared for U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development, Office of Public. Washington, DC: U.S. Dept. of Housing and Urban Development, .
- EnvDesign TH6025 .E53 1998
- Energy efficiency in housing / Malcolm Bell, Robert Lowe, Peter Roberts. Aldershot, Hants, England : Brookfield, Vt. : Avebury, c1996.
- EnvDesign TJ163.5.D86 B45 1996
- Energy efficiency manual : for everyone who uses energy, pays for utilities, controls energy usage, designs and builds... / Wheaton, Md. : Energy Institute Press, 1999.
- EnvDesign TJ163.3.W85 1999 Reference
- Fire and memory : on architecture and energy / Luis Fernandez-Galiano; translated by Gina Carino. Cambridge, Mass. : MIT Press, c2000.
- EnvDesign NA2542.3 .F4713 2000
- Natural home heating : the complete guide to renewable energy options / Greg Pahl. White River Junction, Vt. : Chelsea Green Pub. Co., c2003.
- EnvDesign TH7684.D9.P34 2003
- The sociology of energy, buildings and the environment : constructing knowledge, designing practice / Simon Guy and Elizabeth Shove. London; New York : Routledge, 2000.
- EnvDesign TJ163.3 .G79 2000
Design & Systems
- Building energy management systems: applications to low energy HVAC and natural ventilation control / G.J. Levermore. 2nd ed. London ; New York : E & FN Spon, c2000.
- EnvDesign TJ163.5 .B84 L46 2000
- Building services design methodology: a practical guide / David Bownass. London, New York :Spon, 2001.
- EnvDesign TH6031 .B69 2001
- Building technology: mechanical and electrical systems / Benjamin Stein. 2nd ed. New York: J. Wiley, c1997.
- EnvDesign TH6010 .M24 1997 Reference
- Fundamentals of H.V.A.C. / Jack L. Burton. Upper Saddle River, N.J. :Prentice Hall, c1999.
- EnvDesign TH7011 .B87 1999 Permanent Reserve
- Heating and cooling of buildings : design for efficiency / by Jan F. Kreider, Peter S. Custiss, Ari Rabl.2nd ed. New York : McGraw-Hill, c2002. Series title: McGraw-Hill series in mechanical engineering.
- EnvDesign TH7345 .K74 2002
- Heating, cooling, lighting : design methods for architects / Norbert Lechner. 2nd ed. New York : John Wiley, c2001. Includes case studies, details for photovoltaics, natural ventilation, shading and more.
- EnvDesign TH7222 .L33 2001 Reference
- IAQ and HVAC workbook / D. Jeff Burton. Rev. and updated 2nd ed. Bountiful, Utah : IVE, Inc., c1995.
- PubHealth TD883.1 .B87 1995
- Mechanical & electrical systems for historic buildings: profitable tips for professionals, practical information for preservationists / Gersil Newmakr Kay. New York : McGraw-Hill, c1992. Includes case studies, detailed drawings, codes.
- EnvDesign TH6021.K29 1992 Reference
- Mechanical and electrical systems in buildings / William K.Y. Tao, Richard R. Janis. Englewood Cliffs, NJ: Prentice Hall, 1997.
- Engin TH6010 .T36 1997
- Modern hydronic heating for residential and light commercial buildings / John Siegenthaler. 2nd ed. Australia ; Clifton Park, NY : Thomson/Delmar Learning, c2004.
- EnvDesign TH7511.S54 2004
- HVAC systems design handbook / Roger W. Haines, C. Lewis Wilson. 3rd ed.New York: McGraw-Hill, c1998.
- EnvDesign TH7345 .H35 1998
Heating, ventilating, and air conditioning / J. Trost.
Upper Saddle River, N.J.: Prentice Hall, c1999.
- EnvDesign TH7222 .T76 1999
- Simplified design of HVAC systems / William Bobenhausen. New York: Wiley, c1994.
- EnvDesign TH7345 .B63 1994
Natural Ventilation & Indoor Air Quality (IAQ)
- A guide to energy efficient ventilation / Martin W. Liddament. Coventry: Oscar Faber, 1996.
- EnvDesign TH7223 .L518 1996
- Arca (Milan, Italy) L'Arca. [Milano] : L'Arca edizioni,  - see ECOENEA supplement for green/sustainable design details - Climatic details: vertical landscaping.
- EnvDesign fN4.A66.
The architectural expression of environmental control systems / George Baird.London; New York: Spon Press, 2001.
- EnvDesign NA2541.B35 2001
Buildings at risk : wind design basics for practicing architects / [principal author, Michael J. Crosbie]. Washington, D.C.: American Institute of Architects, [1998?].
- EnvDesign TH891 .B85 1998 v.1-2 (1998)
- CANMET advanced houses program / Sacramento, Calif. : California Environmental Protection Agency, Integrated Waste Management Board, 1999.
- EnvDesign TJ163.5.D86 C36 1999
- Environmental control systems : heating, cooling, lighting / More, Fuller.New York: McGraw-Hill, c1993.
- EnvDesign TH6021 .M66 1993
- Environmental design guide for naturally ventilated and daylit offices / David Rennie and Foroutan Parand. London: Construction Research Communications, 1998.
- EnvDesign TH7392.O35 R43 1998
- Indoor environment / NCARB Professional Development Program ; [authors, Ronald V. Gobbell ... [et al.]]. 2nd ed. Washington, DC : National Council of Architectural Registration Boards, c2002.
- EnvDesign NA2542.35.A28 2002 Reference
- Natural ventilation in buildings: a design handbook / editor Francis Allard; Project coord : Mat Santamouris; contrib Servando Alvarez. London : James and James (Science Publishers) Ltd., 1998.
- EnvDesign TH7674 .N37 1998 Book and CD-ROM on Permanent Reserve
- The optima-house: air quality and energy use in a single family house with counterflow attic insulation and warm crawl space foundation / Arne Elmroth, Bertil Fredlund. Lund, Sweden : Lund Institute of Technology,
Dept. of Building Science, 1996.
- EnvDesign TH7684.D9 E45 1996
- Passive cooling of buildings / editors, M.Santamouris and D.Asimakopoulos. London: James & James, c1996.
- EnvDesign TJ163.5.B84 P36 1996
- Predicting natural ventilation in residential buildings in the context of urban environments / Adil M. K. Sharag-Eldin. 1998.
- Main 308t 1998 896 DISSERTATION
- Transsolar - climate engineering / edited by Anja Thierfelder; texts by Helmut Jahn ...
[et al.] ; essay by Wilfried Korfmacher. Basel : Birkhauser ; Berlin : Springer, 2003. Uses case studies to demonstrate different elements of design, for each example there is a list of site factors and climatic concepts with specific tools explained.
- EnvDesign TH6021.T73 2003
- Understanding ventilation : how to design, select, and install residential ventilation systems / text and illustrations by John Bower. Bloomington, IN : Healthy House Institute, c1995.
- EnvDesign TH7684.D9 B68 1995
Solar Heating & Cooling
Design - Heating and Photovoltaics (research guide) http://www.lib.berkeley.edu/ENVI/solardesign.html#heating
- Comfort in any climate / [Michael Reynolds]. Taos,
N.M. : Solar Survival Press, c2000.
- EnvDesign TJ163.5.D86 R49 2000
- Passive solar commercial and institutional buildings :
a sourcebook of examples and design insights / International Energy
Agency; principal editor, S.R. Hastings. Chichester; New York : J. Wiley,
- EnvDesign TH7413 .P367 1994
- The passive solar house / James Kachadorian. White
River Junction, Vt. : Chelsea Green Pub. Co., c1997.
- EnvDesign TH7414 .K33 1997
- Photovoltaics and architecture / edited by Randall
Thomas. London; New York : Spon Press, 2001.
- EnvDesign, Engin TK1087 .P4845
- Photovoltaics in buildings : a design handbook for architects
and engineers / principal editors, Friedrich Sick, Thomas Erge. London:
James & James (Science Publishers) Ltd., c1996.
- EnvDesign TK8322 .P4 1996
- Photovoltaics in the built environment: a design guide
for architects and engineers / Washington, D.C. :U.S. Dept. of Energy,
- EnvDesign TK1087 .P48526 1997
- Practical photovoltaics : electricity from solar cells
/ Richard J. Komp; introduction by John Perlin. 3rd ed. Ann Arbor, Mich.
: Aatec Publications, 1995.
- EnvDesign TK2960 .K65 1995
- Solar-assisted air-conditioning
in buildings : a handbook for planners / Hans-Martin
Henning (ed.). Wien; New York :Springer, 2004. Includes images of equipment,
design examples, details, and references.
- EnvDesign TH7687.9.S67 2004
- Building Codes & Standards - A guide to the literature of building systems, performance measurement, technology, materials, etc.
- Building Codes & Regulatory Resources - A guide to locating codes, especially for California and the San Francisco Bay Area, in the UC Berkeley libraries and on the Internet.
- Climatic Design Resources - A guide to locating codes, especially for California and the San Francisco Bay Area, in the UC Berkeley libraries and on the Internet.
- Daylighting for Architecture - A guide to resources on daylighting or natural lighting, site planning,
performance measurement, technology, materials, etc.
- Sustainable Design Resources - Sustainably designed buildings aim to lessen their impact on our environment through energy and resource efficiency. http://www.lib.berkeley.edu/ENVI/GreenAll.html
- Solar Design http://www.lib.berkeley.edu/ENVI/solardesign.html
- Sundials http://www.lib.berkeley.edu/ENVI/Sundials.html