Sustainable Design Resources
Compiled by Susan Koskinen, updated by Silvia Lew.
Content reviewed: August 2012
Dictionaries & Encyclopedias
For definitions, terminology, illustrations, names, dates, sites, methods, materials
Dictionary of architectural and building technology /
Henry J. Cowan and Peter R. Smith ; with contributions by W.K. Chow et al.. 4th ed. 2004. Includes illustrations, definitions, modern terms, environmental definitions such as wind scoops, natural ventilation.
- A dictionary of environment and conservation [electronic resource] / Chris Park. 2007.
Also available in print.
- A Dictionary of Architecture / James Stevens Curl. 2nd ed. 2006.
- Dictionary of architecture & construction / edited by Cyril M. Harris. 4th ed. 2006.
Also available in print.
- Dictionary of ecodesign : an illustrated reference / Ken Yeang and Lillian Woo. 2010.
- Dictionary of environment and sustainable development / Alan Gilpin. 1996.
- Elsevier's dictionary of environment in English, French, Spanish and Arabic / compiled by M. Bakr. 1998.
- The environment dictionary / David D. Kemp. 1998. Entry includes definition, illustrations and further reading list.
- The environmental regulatory dictionary / compiled by James J. King. 2005.
- Environmental encyclopedia / William P. Cunningham, et al., editors. 2nd ed. 1998. Includes definitions, cultural movements, biographies, regional events, community actions and a short bibliography for each entry.
- The Facts On File guide to research / Jeff Lenburg. 2005. Facts on File library of language and literature. Includes a chapter on "Ecology and the Environment".
- Green Building A to Z: understanding the language of green building / Jerry Yudelson. 2007. Offers the basics of green building and shows how it relates to key issues such as, water conservation, healthy buildings, use of recycled materials, reduction of carbon dioxide, and environmental site planning.
- Green cities: an A-to-Z guide / Nevin Cohen, general editor. 2010. UCB Only.
Selected Reference Books
- Adapting buildings and cities for climate change : a 21st century survival guide / Sue Roaf, David Crichton and Fergus Nicol. 2009.
- The Ahwahnee principles for smart economic development: an implementation guidebook / Rick Cole, et al. ; editing by Paul Zykofsky, Brad Norton and Dave Davis. 1998. Written for local policymakers, communities, regional development ideas.
- Architecture in a climate of change : a guide to sustainable design / Peter F. Smith. 2005.
- The barefoot architect : a handbook for green building / Johan van Lengen. 2008.
- Be a successful green builder / R. Dodge Woodson. 2009.
- Closing the loop : benchmarks for sustainable buildings / Susan Roaf, with Andrew Horsley and Rajat Gupta. 2004.
- Ecological design handbook: sustainable strategies for architecture, landscape architecture, interior design, and planning / Fred A. Stitt, editor. 1999.
- Environmental planning for site development: a manual for sustainable local planning and design / Anne R. Beer and Catherine Higgins. 2nd ed. 2000.
- The environmental resource handbook. / 2005. Directory of associations, awards, research, green city rankings. Includes statistics for brownfields, air quality, children's health, drinking water, noise pollution.
- Green building : a professional's guide to concepts, codes and innovation : includes IgCC provisions / Anthony C. Floyd and Allan Bilka. 2012.
- Green building and LEED core concepts guide / U.S. Green Building Council, 2011.
- Green neighborhood development : LEED reference guide for neighborhood development / U.S. Green Building Council, 2009.
- Green building : project planning & cost estimating : a practical guide for constructing sustainable buildings : cost data for green materials, components & systems; special project requirements; financial analysis & incentives.
- A green Vitruvius: principles and practice of sustainable architectural design / Vivienne Brophy and J. Owen Lewis. 2011.
- The HOK guidebook to sustainable design / Sandra Mendler, William Odell, Mary Ann Lazarus. 2nd ed. 2006. Shows how to integrate sustainable design strategies into projects. Includes case studies, glossary, top 10 internet resources, bibliography.
- Homes reference guide / U.S. Green Building Council. 2008.
- How to design and build a green office building : a complete guide to making your new or existing building environmentally healthy / Jackie Bondanza. 2011.
- Modern sustainable residential design : a guide for design professionals / William J. Carpenter. 2009.
- The Northwest green home primer / Kathleen O'Brien and Kathleen Smith ; with a foreword by Denis Hayes. 2008.
- Rough guide to sustainability : a design primer / Brian Edwards. 2010.
- Sustainability Hub – Royal Institute of British Architects (RIBA)
- Sustainable and resilient communities : a comprehensive action plan for towns, cities, and regions / edited by Stephen Coyle ; foreword by Andrés Duany. 2011.
- Sustainable building sourcebook : supplement to the Green Building Program / Austin Energy. 2000. The general sections of the Sourcebook are Water, Energy, Building Materials, and Solid Waste. Each resource section and the appendix are hyperlinked for quick location.
- The sustainable design handbook : China : high environmental quality cities and buildings / Serge Salat, editor in chief. 2006.
- Sustainable school architecture : design for primary and secondary schools / Lisa Gelfand, with Eric Corey Freed. 2010.
- The whole building handbook : how to design healthy, efficient and sustainable buildings / Varis Bokalders and Maria Block. 2010.
- Architecture and the urban environment : a vision for the new age / Derek Thomas. 2002.
- Big & green : toward sustainable architecture in the 21st / edited by David Gissen. 2002.
- Building cities: towards a civil society and sustainable environment / edited by Norman Crowe, Richard Economakis and Michael Lykoudis; with Mark Gage, et al. 1999.
- Cradle to cradle: remaking the way we make things / William McDonough & Michael Braungart. 1st ed. 2002. Focuses on the nature of sustainability and the transformation of human industry through ecologically intelligent design.
- Design outlaws on the ecological frontier / Chris Zelov, executive editor; Phil Cousineau, co-editor. Philadelphia, Penn.: Knossus Publishing, 2000 ed. Companion book to
Ecological design [videorecording] : inventing the future. (director, Brian Danitz ; produced by Brian Danitz and Tzelovanikov ; writer, Phil Cousineau. 1994.)
- Design with nature / Ian L. McHarg. 1st ed. 1969. (Classic)
Helped to define the fields of landscape architecture, urban and regional planning, and ecological design. Discussion of mankind's place in nature and nature's place in mankind within the physical sciences and humanities. Offers a blueprint for a new, healthier relationship between the built environment and nature.
see also -- To heal the earth: selected writings of Ian L. McHarg / edited by Ian L. McHarg and Frederick R. Steiner; foreword by Robert D. Yaro. 1998. A retrospective collection of essays by Ian McHarg, written while he was at the University of Pennsylvania.
- Environmental literature: an encyclopedia of works, authors, and themes/ compiled by Patricia D. Netzley. 1999. Very good for historical references, includes important people, authors, events that have "advanced knowledge and changed the perception of the environment."
The environmental tradition: studies in the architecture of environment / Dean Hawkes. 1996.
- From eco-cities to living machines: principles of ecological design / Nancy Jack Todd and John Todd. 1994.
- Gray world, green heart: technology, nature, and the sustainable landscape / Robert L. Thayer, Jr. 1994.
- Green shift: changing attitudes in architecture to the natural world / John Farmer; edited by Kenneth Richardson ; with supplementary text by Judith Farren Bradley, et al. . 2nd ed.1999.
- The nature of order: an essay on the art of building and the nature of the universe / Christopher Alexander. 2002. (classic) Center for Environmental Structure series; v. 9. Alexander develops a comprehensive theory of how matter comes together to form coherent structures.
- Planning for sustainability : creating livable, equitable, and ecological communities / Stephen M. Wheeler. 2004.
- A primer on sustainable building / Rocky Mountain Institute, Green Development Services; Dianna Lopez Barnett with William D. Browning. 2004. Topics include site and habitat restoration, transportation integration, edible landscapes, energy-efficient design, indoor air quality.
- Something new under the sun: an environmental history of the twentieth-century world / J.R. McNeill. 2000.
- The sustainable urban development reader / edited by Stephen M. Wheeler and Timothy Beatley. 2nd ed. 2009.
- Sustainable architecture and urbanism : concepts, technologies, examples / Dominique Gauzin-Müller ; with contributions by Nicolas Favet. 2002.
- Sustainable architecture white papers / edited by David E. Brown, Mindy Fox, Mary Rickel Pelletier.1st ed. 2000. selected essays by architects, designers on the current state of sustainable architecture and its many facets.
- Sustainable architectures : cultures and natures in Europe and North America / edited by Simon Guy and Steven Moore. 2005.
- Taking shape: a new contract between architecture and nature / Susannah Hagan. 2001.
- The timeless way of building / Christopher Alexander. 1979. (Classic) See also: "Pattern Language" and "The Oregon Experiment" . The Timeless Way of Building is the first volume of a three-volume set; Alexander presents a different perceptual framework for conceiving of, and creating architecture. In the second volume of the series, A Pattern Language, he discusses his own exploration of architecture within this perceptual framework and the two hundred fifty-three patterns that he has intuited. In the third volume, The Oregon Experiment, he explains how this "language" of two hundred fifty-three patterns was used in practice to design a building complex at the University of Oregon.
- Understanding sustainable architecture / Terry Williamson, Anthony Radford, and Helen Bennetts. 2003.
- Urban design: green dimensions / Cliff Moughtin with Peter Shirley. 2nd ed. 2005. Shows how sustainable urban design can be implemented on every scale. Second edition includes the Urban Park and Bio-diversity.
Finding Books and Articles
Use SUBJECT HEADINGS and KEY TERMS to search in library catalogs and article indexes.
Indexes for articles
Use Architecture Indexes for the core list of periodical indexes plus the following:
- Academic Search Complete - via EbscoHost - UC Only. A multidisciplinary index to articles in more than 10,900 journals; full text for 5300+ journals.
- Avery Index to Architectural Periodicals - via CSA.- UC Only. This is the primary article index for architecture and all aspects of environmental design and planning.
- Business Source Complete - via EbscoHost - UCB Only. Includes citations to articles and abstracts in business/economics journals. Some full text.
- Cumulative Index to the Proceedings of the Environmental Design Research Association. - Environmental Design Research Association.
- Compendex - UCB Only. Indexes over 5,000 journals, conferences, technical reports and other materials related to the engineering and technical literature and encompasses civil, structural, and mechanical engineering disciplines, as well as related fields in science and management.
- ENVIROnetBASE - UCB Only. A collection of handbooks in the environmental sciences.
- Energy Citations Database - Over 2.6 million chemistry, physics, materials, environmental science, geology, engineering, mathematics, climatology, oceanography, and computer science citations including report literature, conference papers, journal articles, books, dissertations, and patents. Regular updates from Department of Energy's Office of Scientific and Technical Information.
- Environmental Sciences and Pollution Management Database - UCB Only. Includes Ecology Abstracts, EID: Digests of Environmental Impact Statements, Environmental Engineering Abstracts, Environmental RouteNet, Health & Safety Sciences Abstracts, and Pollution Abstracts.
- GreenFILE - UCB Only. Covers all aspects of human impact on the environment. Includes scholarly, government and general-interest titles. Topics include global warming, green building, pollution, sustainable agriculture, renewable energy, recycling and more.
- Lexis-Nexis Academic - UCB Only. Contains full text and abstracts of news, business, and legal information and provides full-text access to nearly 6,000 individual titles.
- Proquest Digital Dissertations and Theses (PQDT) - UCB Only. Indexes graduate dissertations from over 1,000 North American, and selected European, graduate schools and universities including full text of most of the dissertations added since 1997.
Check the E-Journal Titles A-Z List for electronic journals.
- ACE: Architecture, city and environment - Barcelona, Spain. 2006-.
- ADPSR Resource Guide Architects, Designers, Planners for Social Responsibility. Berkeley, CA: Northern California Chapter, Architects/Designers/Planners for Social Responsibility, 1993-
Also available in print.
- Arca - Milan, Italy. 1986-Current.
- Architectural Science Review - Sydney. 1958-. UCB Only. "the journal documents professional interest in environmental issues grounded in the science of heat, light, and sound "
- Architectural Record - Green Architect - Part of Architectural Record magazine dedicated to green architecture.
- Dwell. -- Also available in print. -- " Dwell is focused on demonstrating that modern design can be both functional and comfortable."
- E Magazine - The environmental magazine, does include product information and current lit.
- Ecotecture - the journal of ecological design -- "Ecotecture's purpose is to empower our readers to solve environmental problems by providing them with information on a wide variety of ecologial design topics."
- Electronic Green Journal - includes peer reviewed articles, book reviews, news, and information on current printed and electronic sources concerning international environmental topics. Published semiannually by UCLA Library.
- Energy design update. -- UC Only. "Presents unbiased news & advice about developments in technology & regulation, objective product reviews, design & building tips, practical research reports, & tutorials."
- Environmental Building News - UCB Only. 1992 - Current. Also available in print.
Environmental Design + Construction. -- Also avilable in print. "EDC provides education for designing, constructing, remodeling, operating and maintaining the sustainable built environment as the official magazine for the LEED professional."
- Green places. 2003. Also available in print. Has companion: Green places news.
- GreenSource: the magazine of sustainable design. 2006- Current.
- International journal of environment and sustainable development [electronic resource]. - Genève, Switzerland. 2002-. UCB Only.
- Journal of Green Building. 2006-Current. Also available in print. Presents "the very best of practical applications (Part I) together with the very best of peer-reviewed research (Part II) in green building design and construction"
- Journal of Sustainable Product Design. Covers economic, environmental, ethical & social issues in product design & development.
- The Last straw. 1992 - 2012
- New village: building sustainable cultures. 1999. Also available in print.
- Building Codes & Regulatory Resources - use to locate codes, especially for California & the San Francisco Bay Area, in the UC Berkeley libraries and on the internet
- Building Science - use for building systems, performance measurement, technology, materials etc.
- Climatic Design Resources - use for locating materials on climatic design and data.
- Daylighting for Architecture - use for resources on daylighting or natural lighting, planning, measurement, technology.
- HVAC - Heating, Ventilation, Air conditioning includes Solar Heating (Photovoltaics) & Cooling
- Solar Design Resources - a guide to selected resources on Solar Design issues
Codes, Guidelines & Specifications
Use ENVI Guide: Building Codes and Regulatory Resources for links to specific building codes.
- ASHRAE GreenGuide: an ASHRAE publication addressing matters of interest to those involved in green or sustainable design of buildings / David L. Grumman, editor. 2003. Includes green design techniques for plumbing, lighting, and hvac systems.
- CalRecycle – Green Building Homepage
- City of Oakland’s Green Building Website
- Commercial interiors, version 2.0: reference guide / U.S. Green Building Council. 3rd ed. 2006.
- Comprehensive Procurement Guideline (CPG) - U.S. Environmental Protection Agency
- The engineering guide to LEED-new construction: sustainable construction for engineers / Liv Haselbach. 2008.
- Green Building Guidelines – Alameda County
- Green Building Guidelines - Contra Costa County Community Development Department, pdf files that can be downloaded. Home Remodeling Green Building Guidelines, New Home Construction Green Building Guidelines
- Green building guidelines: meeting the demand for low-energy, resource-efficient homes. / Sustainable Buildings Industry Council. 2004.
- Green building : project planning & cost estimating. / 2011. Includes resource efficient building systems, embodied energy, photovoltaics, solar energy.
- Green Building Products: the GreenSpec guide to residential building materials /edited by Alex Wilson and Mark Peipkorn. 2nd ed. 2006.
- The green guide to housing specification : an environmental profiling system for building materials and components / Jane Anderson, Nigel Howard. 2002.
- The green guide to specification: an environmental profiling system for building materials and components / Jane Anderson, David E. Shiers with Mike Sinclair. 3rd ed. 2002. British focus, good for materials that will have a lower impact on the environment, ranked by usage based on life cycle assessment studies.
- Green Spec - UCB Only. Guideline specifications for environmentally considered building materials & construction.
- GreenSpec binder: EBN product directory with manufacturer's literature. / 1999.
- Green spec: guideline specifications for environmentally considered building materials & construction methods / prepared for the Alameda County Waste Management Authority and Recycling Board. 1996.
- Land and natural development (LAND) code : guidelines for sustainable land development. / Diana Balmori and Gaboury Benoit. 2007.
- LEED--CI for commercial interiors: reference guide. / U.S. Green Building Council. 2005.
- LEED--EB for existing buildings: reference guide. Version 2.0. 1st ed. / U.S. Green Building Council, 2005.
- LEED design standards: a critical analysis / Todd R. Kiehn. Master's Thesis from Illinois Institute of Technology, 2004.
- New construction reference guide version 2.2. / U.S. Green Building Council. 2007. -- A LEED Reference Guide.
- LEED reference package, version 2.0. Green Building Rating System. / U.S. Green Building Council, 2001. Other titles: Leadership in Energy & Environmental Design reference package, version 2.0. U.S. Green Building Council, 2001.
- Multifamily Green Building Guidelines (PDF). -- Alameda County Waste Authority. Includes recommended measures and case studies. This web site includes links to other resources for green building projects.
- Resourceful specifications: guideline specifications for environmentally considered building materials and construction methods. / Siegel & Strain Architects, 1998.
- US Department of Energy – Energy Efficiency & Renewable Energy – Building Energy Codes Program
- WasteSpec: model specifications for construction waste reduction, reuse, and recycling / prepared by Triangle J Council of Governments. 1995.
Use for resources on sustainable, recyclable building materials.
- ADPSR: Ecological architectural resource guide: environmentally conscious, resource-efficient, less polluting, sustainable, recycled, healthy, local / prepared by Northern California ADPSR; edited by David Kibbey; with contributions from Heather Cannon et al. 2000. Lists products that are sustainable, less polluting, local and recycled. Organized by the CSI (Construction Specifications Institute) numbering systems, each division includes "green building" practices followed by lists of materials, manufacturers, and suppliers.
- Building inside nature's envelope: how new construction and land preservation can work together / Andy Wasowski, with Sally Wasowski; foreword by Darrel G. Morrison; photography by Andy Wasowski. 2000.
- Building Materials energy and the environment: towards ecologically sustainable development / Bill Lawson. 1996.
Building materials for the environmentally hypersensitive. Revised ed. / Canadian Mortgage and Housing Corporation. 1997.
- Building with earth : design and technology of a sustainable architecture / Gernot Minke. 2009.
- Building with vision: optimizing and finding alternatives to wood / Dan Imhoff; edited by Ann Edminster. 2001.
- The ecology of building materials / Bjorn Berge; translated from Norwegian by Filip Henley with Howard Liddell. 2000.
- Gaiam Real Goods solar living sourcebook. / 2008.
- Global Directory for Environmental Technology - site by Eco Source International. A guide to environmental products & services, national and international, organizations, conferences and publications from experts.
- Green architecture : advanced technologies and materials / Osman Attmann. 2010.
- Green building bottom line: the real cost of sustainable building / edited by Martin Melaver, Phyllis Mueller. 2009.
- Green building handbook: a guide to building products and their impact on the environment / Tom Woolley, et al. 1997-2000.
- Green building materials: a guide to product selection and specification / Ross Spiegel, Dru Meadows. 3rd ed. 2012. Includes green product selection, specification, construction processes, LEED requirements, specifications process, construction waste management.
- Green building with concrete [electronic resource] : sustainable design and construction / edited by Gajanan M. Sabnis. 2012
- Greenhomebuilding.com - Private site that focuses on the design and building of residential buildings.
- Green Seal - Directory of certified products.
- Greening federal facilities: an energy, environmental, and economic resource guide for federal facilities managers and designers / edited by Alex Wilson, BuildingGreen, Inc. 2001. Available electronically and in print.
- Guide to resource efficient building elements / compiled and written by Tracy Mumma; illustrations by Dale McCormick. 6th ed. 1997.
- Materials for sustainable sites : a complete guide to the evaluation, selection, and use of sustainable construction materials / Meg Calkins. 2009.
- Rematerial : from waste to architecture / Alejandro Bahamón, Maria Camila Sanjinés. 2010.
- Re-use of construction and demolition wast in housing developments / V.W.Y.Tam and C.M. Tam. 2008.
- The Sourcebook for sustainable design: a guide to environmentally responsible building materials and processes / edited by Andrew St. John. 1992.
- Sustainability of concrete / Pierre-Claude Aïtcin and Sidney Mindess. 2011.
- Sweets Catalog - products for general building and renovation. Also available in print.
- The whole house book: ecological building design and materials / Pat Borer & Cindy Harris. 2005.
Adobe and rammed earth buildings: design and construction / Paul Graham McHenry. 1989.
Architecture in a climate of change: a guide to sustainable design / Peter F. Smith. 2005. Investigates renewable technologies, domestic energy sources, natural ventilation, lighting, life-cycle assessment, recycling. Includes case studies.
The architecture of ecology / edited by Maggie Toy. 1997.
- The art of natural building : design, construction, resources / editors, Joseph F. Kennedy, et al. 2002.
Climate responsive design: a study of buildings in moderate and hot humid climates / Richard Hyde. 2000.
Design for sustainability: a sourcebook of integrated, eco-logical solutions / Janis Birkeland. 2002.
- Designing with nature: the ecological basis for architectural design / Ken Yeang. 1995.
Eco-tech: sustainable architecture and high technology / Catherine Slessor; photographs by John Linden. 1997.
ECO-TEC: architecture of the in-between / Amerigo Marras, editor. 1999.
- Ecocells: landscapes & masterplans by Hamzah &Yeang / Leon Van Schaik. 2003.
- Ecodesign : the sourcebook / Alastair Fuad-Luke. 2009.
Ecological design / Sim Van der Ryn and Stuart Cowan. 1996.
Ecological design and planning / George F. Thompson & Frederick R. Steiner, editors. 1997.
The ecology of architecture: a complete guide to creating the environmentally conscious building / Laura C. Zeiher. 1996.
Energy and environment in architecture: a technical design guide / Nick Baker and Koen Steemers. 2000.
Energy Design Resources. Focuses on California design and building energy-efficient commercial.
- Environmental by design: a sourcebook of environmentally aware choices / Kim Leclair & David Rousseau. 1992.
Environmental design: an introduction for architects and engineers / edited by Randall Thomas. 2006.
Evolutionary Architecture: nature as a basis for design / Eugene Tsui. 1999.
Green Building Basics - Comprehensive site for design and construction.
Green building through integrated design / Jerry Yudelson. 2009.
Green design: design for the environment / Dorothy Mackenzie. 1997.
The green imperative: natural design for the real world / Victor Papanek.
1995. Presents the use of ecologically sound design of everything from food packaging to buildings. Discusses how one "senses" a building and how vernacular architecture maintains its close connection to the land.
See also --
Design for the real world: human ecology and social change / Victor Papanek; with an introduction by R. Buckminster Fuller. 1972. Introduces the idea of an ethics of design.
Greening the built environment / Maf Smith, John Whitelegg and Nick Williams. 1998.
- Groundscrapers + subscrapers of Hamzah &Yeang / Ivor Richards. 2001.
HOK Guidebook to Sustainable Design / Mendler, Sandra; Odell, William; Lazarus, Mary Ann. 2006. UC Only. Also availabe in print.
International ecolodge guidelines / edited by Hitesh Mehta, Ana L.Baez and Paul O'Loughlin. 2002.
- Reinventing the skyscraper: a vertical theory of urban design / Ken Yeang. 2002.
- Ritual House: Drawing on Nature’s Rhythms for Architecture and Urban Design / Ralph Knowles. 2006.
- Smart & sustainable built environments / edited by J. Yang, P.S. Brandon, A.C. Sidwell. 2005.
- Sustainable architecture: European directives and building design / Brian Edwards. 1999.
Sustainable architecture: towards a diverse built environment / Ed Melet. 1999.
Sustainable by Design: explorations in theory and practice / Stuart Walker. 2006. Design of sustainable objects.
Sustainable Design: ecology, architecture, and planning / Daniel E. Williams; forewords by David W. Orr, Donald Watson. 2007. UC Only. Also available in print.
- Sustainable Design of Research Laboratories: Planning, Design and Operation / Kling Stubbins. 2010.
- T. R. Hamzah & Yeang: ecology of the sky / Ivor Richards. 2001.
Taking shape: a new contract between architecture and nature / Susannah Hagan. 2001.
Urban design : green dimensions / Cliff Moughtin with Peter Shirley. 2005.
Design for Environmental Health
Selected resources for healthier design.
- The boiled frog syndrome: your health and the built environment / Thomas Saunders. 2002. A discussion of health concerns related to the built environment including electromagnetic fields (EMF), geomancy, dowsing, light and noise etc. Includes design solutions for healthier urban environments.
- A building revolution: how ecology and health concerns are transforming construction / David Malin Roodman and Nicholas Lenssen ; Jane A. Peterson, editor. 1995.
- Design details for health : making the most of design's healing potential / Cynthia Leibrock, Debra D. Harris. 2011.
- Eco : an essential sourcebook for environmentally friendly design and decoration / Elizabeth Wilhide. 2002.
- Ecohouse 2: a design guide / Sue Roaf, Manuel Fuentes, Stephanie Thomas. 2nd ed. 2003.
- Eco-Interiors: a guide to environmentally conscious interior design / Grazyna Pilatowicz. 1995.
- Environmental Planning resources - ENVI research guide.
- Fundamentals of integrated design for sustainable building / Marian Keeler, Bill Burke. 2009.
- Green by design: creating a home for sustainable living / Angela M. Dean. 1st ed. 2003. Includes case studies with sustainable features listed for each.
- A handbook of sustainable building design and engineering : an integrated approach to energy, health and operational performance / edited by Dejan Mumovic and Mat Santamouris. 2009.
- Healing environments: your guide to indoor well-being / Carol Vanolia; foreword by Debra Lynn Dadd. 1988.
- Healthy by design: building and remodeling solutions for creating healthy homes / by David Rousseau, James Wasley. 1997.
- Healthy home: a practical and resourceful guide to making your own home fit for body, mind and spirit / Jill Blake.1998.
- Healthy house building for the new millennium: a design & construction guide / John Bower. 2000.
- The healthy house: how to buy one, how to build one, how to cure a sick one / John Bower. 4th ed., rev. ed. 2001.
- Home work: handbuilt shelter / Lloyd Kahn. 2004. Includes unique building materials and uses, design styles, maps and detail drawings.
- Human spaces: life-enhancing designs for healing, working, and living / Barbara Crisp. 1998.
- The natural house: a complete guide to healthy, energy-efficient, natural homes / Daniel D. Chiras. 2000.
- Natural interiors: using natural materials and methods to decorate your home /Ali Hanan & Pip Norris. 2001.
- The new autonomous house: design and planning for sustainability / Brenda & Robert Vale. 2000.
- Prescriptions for a healthy house : a practical guide for architects, builders & homeowners / Paula Baker-Laporte, Erica Elliott and John Banta. 2008.
- Preventing moisture and mold problems: design and construction guidelines / J. David Odom; 2003.
- The smart house / James Grayson Trulove ; introduction by Michael McDonough. 2003.
- Sustainable architecture: lowtech houses / Arian Mostaedi. 2002.
- Urban air quality : handbook, parts A and B / prepared and written by the staff and consultants of the Sustainable Cities Programme. 2001.
- Your natural home: a complete sourcebook and design manual for creating a healthy, beautiful, environmentally. 1995.
- Your naturally healthy home: stylish, safe, simple / Allan Berman. 2001.
Use for building methods that include modern and traditional practices.
- Alternative construction: contemporary natural building methods / edited by Lynne Elizabeth and Cassandra Adams. 2005. Includes methods of using traditional building materials that are adapted to meet code-required standards including straw-bale, light-clay, cob, adobe, rammed earth and pise, earthbag, earth-sheltered, bamboo, and hybrid systems. Chapters on the history, development, climate, environment, performance, and structural design principles. Illustrations of construction processes and completed structures.
- The art of natural building: design, construction, resources / edited by Joseph F. Kennedy, et al. c2002.
- Building green : a complete how-to guide to alternative building methods : earth plaster, straw bale, cordwood, cob, living roofs / Clarke Snell and Tim Callahan. 1st ed. 2005. Includes glossary, case studies, details.
- Building inside nature's envelope : how new construction and land preservation can work together / Andy Wasowski, with Sally Wasowski ; forword by Darrel G. Morrison ; photography by Andy Wasowski. 2000.
- Building with awareness : the construction of a hybrid home / Ted Owens. 2006.
- Building with earth : design and technology of a sustainable architecture /Gernot Minke. 2006.
- Building Without Borders : sustainable construction for the global village / edited by Joseph F. Kennedy. 2004.
- Built by hand: vernacular buildings around the world / Athena Steen, Bill Steen, and Eiko Komatsu; 1st ed. 2003. Includes information on natural materials used around the world, a chapter on natural ventilation - good photos and wind scoops.
- Construction and the natural environment / R.M. Lowton. 1997. Overview of the natural environment as it relates to the construction business, international focus. Coverage includes urbanization, public health, landscape, soils, construction, pollution, resources and materials, waste, the artificial water cycle, and the internal environment.
- Construction ecology: nature as the basis for green buildings / edited by Charles J. Kibert, Jan Sendzimir, and G. Bradley Guy. 2002.
- Contractor's guide to green building construction : management, project delivery, documentation, and risk reduction / Thomas E. Glavinich. 2008.
- Earth construction handbook : the building material earth in modern architecture / Gernot Minke. 2000.
- Econest : creating sustainable sanctuaries of clay, straw, and timber / Paula Baker-Laporte and Robert Laporte ; foreword by Robyn Griggs Lawrence. 2005.
- The good house book : a common-sense guide to alternative homebuilding / Clarke Snell. 2004.
- Green building : a professional's guide to concepts, codes and innovation : includes IgCC provisions / Anthony C. Floyd and Allan Bilka. 2012.
- Green building A to Z : understanding the language of green building / Jerry Yudelson ; foreword by Kevin Hydes. 2007.
- Green building fundamentals : practical guide to understanding and applying fundamental sustainable construction practices and the LEED system / Michael Montoya. 2011.
Green from the ground up : a builder's guide : sustainable, healthy, and energy-efficient home construction / David Johnston. 2008.
- The hand-sculpted house: a philosophical and practical guide to building a cob cottage / Ianto Evans, Linda Smiley. 2002. Real Goods solar living book.
- Living homes / Suzi Moore McGregor and Nora Burba Trullson ; photographs by Terrence Moore. 2001.
- No waste : managing sustainability in construction / Uly Ma. 2011.
- The natural plaster book: earth, lime and gypsum plasters for natural homes / Cedar Rose Guelberth & Dan Chiras. 2003.
- Traditional construction for a sustainable future / Carole Ryan. 2011.
- Sustainable building technical manual: green building design, construction and operations / Cosponsored by Public Technology, Inc, Green Building Council and U.S. Department of Energy. 1996.
- Sustainable construction [electronic resource] / Sandy Halliday. UCB Only. 2008
- Sustainable construction : green building design and delivery / Charles J. Kibert. 2008.
- Sustainable landscape construction:a guide to green building outdoors / William Thompson, Kim Sorvig. 2nd ed. 2008.
- The technology of ecological building: basic principles and measures, examples and ideas / Klaus Daniels. English translation by Elizabeth Schwaiger. 1997.
Resources on the use of straw bale as a building material for design and construction.
- The beauty of straw bale homes / Athena and Bill Steen. 2000. Real Goods solar living book.
- Build it with bales: a step-by-step guide to straw-bale construction, version two / Matts Myhrman and S. O. MacDonald. Version 2.0. 1997.
- Building a straw bale house : the Red Feather construction handbook / Nathaniel Corum ; foreword by Jane Goodall. 2005.
- The building officials' guide to straw-bale construction : version 2.1 / edited by Kelly Lerner and Pamela Wadsworth Goode. 2000.
- Building with straw bales: a practical guide for the UK and Ireland / Barbara Jones. 2002.
- Buildings of earth and straw: structural design for rammed earth and straw-bale architecture / Bruce King. 1996.
- A house of straw: a natural building odyssey / Carolyn Roberts. 2002
- Design of straw bale buildings : the state of the art / Bruce King ; with contributing authors Mark Aschheim, et al. 2006.
- New Straw bale details: a manual for designers and builders / Chris Magwood and Chris Walker. 2001. Includes code provisions, drawing details, straw bale load levels and a bibliography
- Practical straw bale building / Murray Hollis. 2005.
- Serious straw bale: a home construction guide for all climates / Paul Lacinski and Michel Bergeron. 2000. Real Goods solar living book.
- Straw bale building: how to plan, design & build with straw / Chris Magwood & Peter Mack. c2000.
- Straw bale construction details : a sourcebook / David Arkin, et al. 1999.
- The straw bale house / Athena Swentzell Steen, Bill Steen, David Bainbridge, with David Eisenberg. 1994. Real Goods independent living book.
- Strawbale homebuilding / edited by Alan T. Gray and Anne Hall. 2000.
Energy, Solar, Photovoltaics
See also the research guide: Solar Design-Energy
- Alternative energy systems in building design / Peter Gevorkian. 2010.
- Cutting the cost of cold: affordable warmth for healthier homes / edited by Janet Rudge & Fergus Nicol. 2000.
- Daylighting : architecture and lighting design / Peter Tregenza and Michael Wilson. 2011.
- Energizing architecture : design and photovoltaics / Claudia Lüling, editor. 2009.
- Energy and environment in architecture : a technical design / Nick Baker and Koen Steemers. 2000.
- Energy Citations Database:
(ECD) provides free access to 2 million+ science research citations, 1948 -- present, with regular updates. There are 140,000+ electronic documents from 1994 available via the database. Citations and documents are made publicly available by the U.S. Department of Energy (DOE). ECD includes scientific and technical research results in disciplines of interest to DOE such as chemistry, physics, materials, environmental science, geology, engineering, mathematics, climatology, oceanography, computer science and related disciplines. It includes bibliographic citations to report literature, conference papers, journal articles, books, dissertations, and patents.
- Energy conscious architecture / Carl Stein. 2001.
- Energy efficient buildings: architecture, engineering, and environment / Dean Hawkes and Wayne Forster. 1st American ed. 2002. Examines how energy efficiency can be enhanced by integrating advances in architecture and engineering the environmental function and performance of buildings in the twenty-first century. Includes case studies of projects.
- Energy manual: sustainable architecture / Manfred Hegger, et al. 2008.
- Heating, Cooling, Lighting: Sustainable Design Methods for Architects / Norbert Lechner. 2009.
- Passive solar design strategies: guidelines for home building, San Francisco, California / Passive Solar Industries Council. 1998.
- The passive solar primer : sustainable architecture / David Wright. 2008.
- Photovoltaics and architecture / edited by Randall Thomas. 2001.
- Photovoltaics in buildings: a design handbook for architects and engineers / principal editors, Friedrich Sick, Thomas Erge. 1996.
- Residential manual: for compliance with the 1998 energy efficiency standards (for low-rise residential buildings. California Energy Commission. 1999.
- Solar House : a guide for the solar designer / Terry Galloway. 2004.
- Sol Power: the evolution of solar architecture / Sophia and Stefan Behling; in collaboration with Bruno; foreword by Sir Norman Foster. 1996.
- Solar control & shading devices / Olgyay & Olgyay. Princeton : Princeton University Press, 1976.
- Solar energy, technology policy, and institutional values / Frank N. Laird. 2001.
- The solar house : passive heating and cooling / Daniel D. Chiras. 2002.
- Solar power in building design [electronic resource] : the engineer's complete design reource / Peter Gevorkian. 2008.
- Sun, wind & light : architectural design strategies / G.Z. Brown, Mark DeKay ; illustrations, Virginia Cartwright, et al. 2001.
- Sustainability at the cutting edge: emerging technologies for low energy buildings / Peter F. Smith. 2003.
- Sustainable energy systems in architectural design: a blueprint for green building / Peter Gevorkian. 2006. Includes solar power systems and materials.
- Towards zero-energy architecture : new solar design / Mary Guzowski. 2010.
Associations & Organizations
- ACEEE - American Council for an Energy-Efficient Economy - a non-profit organization “that acts as a catalyst to advance energy efficiency policies, programs, technologies, investments, and behaviors”
- ADPSR - Architects Designers Planners for Social Responsibility - A national non-profit organization of architects, designers, planners and related professionals.
- American Solar Energy Society (ASES) - sponsors the National Solar Energy Conference, publishes SOLAR TODAY magazine and Advances in Solar Energy, white papers, organizes a Solar Action Network and has regional chapters throughout the country. ASES is the United States Section of the International Solar Energy Society.
- Association for Environment Conscious Building - AECB was formed in 1989 to encourage environmental awareness within the UK construction industry.
- Build It Green -
Membership organization promoting healthy, energy- and resource-efficient building practices in California. Tools and resources include directories of green products, professionals, and design guidelines.
- BuildingGreen - UCB Only.
Includes information designed to help building-industry professionals and policy makers improve environmental performance of buildings. Includes: Environmental Building News and GreenSpec Product directory.
- California Energy Commission - contains links to resources.
- Center for Livable Communities -
includes the Ahwahnee Principles. The Local Government Commission (LGC) is an organization of elected officials from California and other states. In 1991, the LGC developed the Ahwahnee Principles. In 1997 the LGC developed the Ahwahnee Principles for Smart Economic Development (http://www.lgc.org/ahwahnee/econ_principles.html). The Center for Livable Communities helps local governments and community leaders be proactive in their land use and transportation planning, and adopt programs and policies that lead to livable and resource-efficient land use patterns. The Center is a partner in the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency's Smart Growth Network.
- Carboun: Middle East Sustainability and Environment Carboun.com includes resources covering a wide spectrum of issues addressing the energy and the environment of the Middle East. It includes resources on sustainable design, reducing and conserving energy and material resources, and protecting/regenerating local ecologies and habitats.
- The Cohousing Association of the United States - Cohousing communities balance home ownership with shared common facilities. Includes links to international and national projects, development issues, and news.
- Consortium on Green Design and Manufacturing, UC Berkeley
- Ecological Design Institute, Van Der Ryn Architects -- The Ecological Design Institute and Van der Ryn Architects create design solutions that link nature, culture and technology.
- EcoMall -- Site map with links, newsletters, construction products, investments etc.
- Global Green USA -- US affiliate of Green Cross International. R.E.S.C.U.E. Resource Efficiency & Sustainable Communities for the Urban Environment. Works to create a global value shift toward a sustainable future. Promotes the cleanup and reuse of military facilities, promoting the safe and environmentally responsible destruction of chemical weapons, the "greening" of affordable housing, and the prevention of international natural resource-based conflicts.
- Greener Buildings -- is a free resource for environmentally responsible building development. Includes building design, construction, and operation, provides tools, action steps, and other resources that improve buildings' environmental performance reducing costs and negative health impacts.
- Healthy Building Network -- an organization whose mission is to "Transform the market for building materials to advance the best environmental, health and social practices".
- iGreenBuild.com -- provides building professionals and concerned citizens with information about environmentally responsible building. Includes B.I.P.E.R., Building Industry Professionals For Environmental Responsibility, monthly e-Newsletter.Articles about sustainable building design for commercial and residential buildings. Green products, product reviews and samples.
- The Long Now Foundation was established in 1996, to develop Clock and "Library" projects and to become a long term cultural institution. The Long Now Foundation seeks to promote "slower/better" thinking and to foster creativity in the framework of the next 10,000 years.
- New Buildings Institute (NBI) -- a nonprofit organization working to improve the energy performance of commercial buildings.
- Northern California Solar Energy Association (NCSEA) -- a chapter of the ASES
- Northwest Ecobuilding Guild -- The Northwest EcoBuilding Guild is an association of builders, designers, homeowners, trades people, manufacturers, suppliers and others interested in ecologically sustainable building
- O2 -- International network of designers, links to resources and projects.
- Resource Renewal Institute -- Site includes an environmental atlas and links to many other sources.
- Rocky Mountain Institute -- A nonprofit research and educational foundation, the Institute creates, and helps individuals find new techniques for resource efficiency.
- SmartGrowth -- part of the Sustainable Communities Network. The Smart Growth Network coalitions to encourage metropolitan development that is environmentally smart, fiscally smart, economically and socially smart.
- Solar Living Center - The Solar Living Institute -- 12-acre demonstration center located in Hopland, California, powered entirely by working renewable energy systems, has a 5,000 sq. foot strawbale building with innovative passive solar design and the creative use of recycled materials.
- Sustainable Buildings Industry Council. -- SBIC is an independent, nonprofit organization whose mission is to advance the design, affordability, energy performance, and environmental soundness of America's buildings.
- Sustainable Business -- Business directory, resources, job listings etc.
- Sustainable Sources -- available through Greenbuilder.com. Sustainable Sources provides resources that offer practical options to the conventional methods of building, community, travel, and more.
- Urban Ecology -- Links to Building Livable Cities, Planning Sustainable Regions, Bay Area Green Web and the Urban Ecologist. Links to current Infill Projects.
- Wallace Stegner Environmental Center, San Francisco Public Library -- Links to environmental directories, Eco-Links, Activism, collections and calendar.
Civic Programs for green building / sustainable design
- Alameda County Waste Management Authority and Recycling Board. (Stopwaste.org) - Includes links to other resources. See Green Building Guidelines.
- City of Berkeley - Department of Energy & Sustainability
- City of Oakland - Green Building Resource Center
- City of San Francisco - Sustainable City
- Energy Efficiency and Renewable Energy (EERE) - Buildings. U.S. Department of Energy. Includes the Smart Communities Network. See the Sun Wall National Solar Design Competition for a Sun Wall at The Department of Energy National Headquarters.
- G/Rated - A program of the City of Portland's Office of Sustainable Development
- Green California
- Green Globes - Canada, is an environmental assessment tool and was developed in Canada with the support of the ministries and public utilities.
- King County Department of Natural Resources & Parks, Washington State - Sustainable Building & Construction
- LEED: Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (USGBC) is a Green Building Rating System. A voluntary national standard for developing high-performance, sustainable buildings. LEED provides a framework for assessing building performance and meeting sustainability goals. See website for current standards: New commercial construction and major renovation projects (LEED-NC) Existing building operations (LEED-EB), Commercial interiors projects (LEED-CI), Core and shell projects (LEED-CS), Homes (LEED-H), Neighborhood Development(LEED-ND). see codes and the USGBC website.
- Smart Communities Network - Green Building. U.S. Department of Energy. - Includes case studies, forums, conference dates and meetings, links to many government sites.
- U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA)
- U.S. Green Building Council (USGBC). The USGBC is a nonprofit coalition. Programs include: LEED Green Building Rating system development; Greenbuild conference, Federal summit, standards and design practices.
Selected case studies, books and websites.
- 21st century sustainable homes / edited by Mark Cleary. 2011.
- 150 best eco house ideas / editor and text, Marta Serrats. 2010.
- Architecture of change 2 : sustainability and humanity in the built environment / edited by Kristin Feireiss and Lukas Feireiss. 2009.
- Berkeley EcoHouse - EcoHouse is an ecological demonstration home and resource center that showcases traditional and modern methods of environmentally healthy living.
- CalRecycle: Sustainable (Green) Building Case Studies Includes case studies on green building by building type, location, and name as well as links to other websites listing green buildings/case studies
- Cradle to cradle home design : process and experience / Anna Marshall-Baker, Lisa M. Tucker. 2012.
- Design e² [videorecording] : the economies of being environmentally conscious / director, Tad Fettig ; series producer, Elizabeth Westrate ; narration writers, Mark Decena, John Kenney ; produced by kontentreal, LLC. [Alexandria, Va.] : PBS Home Video, c2006. Watch additional episodes online.
- Design like you give a damn  : building change from the ground up / edited by Architecture for Humanity. 2012.
- Eco-Urban design / John A. Flannery, Karen M. Smith. 2011.
- Energy Design Resources - Includes case studies, newsletter etc.
- Ecological architecture / Chris van Uffelen ; translation, Alice Bayandin. 2009.
- Future forms and design for sustainable cities / edited by Mike Jenks and Nicola Dempsey. 2005.
- Green Building Information Gateway - Currently (2012) in beta testing, this website is designed by the U.S. Green Building Council to provide "customized data, maps, analytics and insights" into LEED certified buildings.
- Green life : building sustainable cities / edited by Maria Berrini and Aldo Colonetti. 2010.
- Green design : creative, sustainable designs for the twenty-first century / Marcus Fairs ; foreword by Tom Dixon. 2009.
The greening of Southie [videorecording] / Mercator Entertainment presents ; a Wicked Delicate production ; produced by Curt Ellis ; directed by Ian Cheney. 2008.
- Mainstreaming sustainable architecture: Casa de Paja: a demonstration / Ed Paschich, Jan Zimmerman; illustrations. 2001.
- Small scale, big change : new architectures of social engagement / Andres Lepik, curator. Museum of Modern Art, 2010.
- Small strawbale : natural homes, projects & designs / Bill Steen, Athena Swentzell Steen, Wayne J. Bingham. 2005.
- Sustainable buildings in practice : what the users think / George Baird. 2010.
- Sustainable healthcare architecture / Robin Guenther, Gail Vittori. 2008.
- Sustainable living : 25 international examples / Dominique Gauzin-Müller. 2006.
- Ten shades of green : architecture and the natural / Peter Buchanan. 2005.
- Thom Mayne, Morphosis [videorecording] : U.S. Federal Office Building, San Francisco, CA / produced by Checkerboard Film Foundation ; produced by Edgar B. Howard ; directed by Tom Piper, Charles Gansa. 2008.
- Thoreau Center for Sustainability, The Presidio, San Francisco. Privately funded sustainably designed project.
- Urban style = Maison de ville = Städtische Häuser. 2008.
- US Green Building Council – LEED Projects in Northern California
- William McDonough and Partners - Notable projects include the Ford Rogue Center and the Ford Truck Plant.
See also -- The Hannover Principles: Design for Sustainability. William McDonough & Partners. 1992.